Move home server from AiO ESXi to ? I want lofs!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ekke

Nov 16, 2015
Currently Im mounting datasets from FreeNAS via NFS/Samba to VMs on my homeserver. Id prefer to use lofs in smartOS or OmniOS and mount datasets directly to zones/KVMs/lx containers to increase speed and reduce complexity (less layers).

Do you have any thought and tips before I start to tinker in my very limited sparetime.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
LX zones from SmartOS were recently ported to OmniOS due the engagement of OmniTi and with some personal help of some SmartOS people. But this means not the whole Cloud functionality or all tools, only what is needed to add lightweight LX Linux container VMs to a full featured storage appliance.

SmartOS is not intended for a storage server, more a competitor to ESXi or Proxmox.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
For full OS virtualisation, ESXi is quite propably superiour to KVM regarding drivers or OS support (ex vmxnet3 vnics) or pass-through of hardware devices. Lightweight container based solutions like LX Linux zones on SmartOS or OmniOS is different.

Handling and tools of LX zones are different between SmartOS and OmniOS as some tools from SmartOS are not ported (yet)
see http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/zones.pdf