Mounting R500 AP

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
I've got a set of R500 APs I picked up off eBay and flashed to unleashed. They're working great so far and now I'm running cables properly through the walls/Attic to install them properly.

I looked at the back and the usual mounting keyhole slots look like they line up perfectly with a 1G box/LV ring, but the power/rj45 connectors sit outside the profile of the box... So how are you guys running your cables to the units and mounting them so they look professional?

Attachments

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I've got a set of R500 APs I picked up off eBay and flashed to unleashed. They're working great so far and now I'm running cables properly through the walls/Attic to install them properly.

I looked at the back and the usual mounting keyhole slots look like they line up perfectly with a 1G box/LV ring, but the power/rj45 connectors sit outside the profile of the box... So how are you guys running your cables to the units and mounting them so they look professional?
I am also wondering the same thing for the R610s, that I intend to replace the unifi AC AP Pros that are nicely sitting on the ceiling

PD_ZFS-User

Jul 13, 2018
XplodingData,

I mounted a Ubiquiti AP on a drywall ceiling using a similar ’old work’ electrical box, but it had a different arrangement that allowed for the ethernet cable to reach the RJ-45 jack from the box and stay flush to the ceiling.

From your picture it appears that no standard box and cover would work to both mount your R500 and allow the ethernet cable to pass through the ceiling and reach the RJ-45 jack. I’m assuming you’re mounting the R500 on a drywall ceiling. It depends how ‘professional’ you want it to look, but you could go with the box you have for mounting and then drill a small hole (ideally just large enough for an unterminated cable) and use something like this cable bushing to trim out the hole;

I imagine your R500 can be powered over ethernet, so you could get and use a POE injector to avoid any other holes in your ceiling. If that option is not ‘pro’ enough, you may need to research what Ruckus R500 mounting brackets were/are available if any for a drywall ceiling. I assume they had specific brackets for mounting the R500 on suspended ceilings. Best of luck in finding or creating a solution.

Cheers,
PD

klui

Feb 3, 2019
I just have a plate for the cable and another for the AP. I just mount the AP to a stud and the old LV bracket next to it. Not a big deal to me. If you want everything to be "hidden," you can maybe use an old work extender then place your cable through it.

XplodingData

Jan 25, 2020
Ok, for my ceiling mounted unit in the garage, i simply mounted with a couple wall anchors and drilled a 1/4" hole for the cable to poke through. it's a tight bend on the cable, but it looks clean enough for me. Not sure how I'm going to manage the wall mounted one yet, but i suppose similar fashion.

Seems like a major design flaw to not have a recessed channel for the cable to come out of the wall box and then over to the rj45 jack...

Fortunately, I am using a POE switch with the APs so I've only got the one cat6 cable.