Mounting an Intel RES2CV360 36 port SAS2 Expander

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
Poking around the internet, I came across the this expander. Searching around the forum here, and a few other places, I did not find much info about it.

Seeing as the excellent Intel RES2SV240 24-port Expander was built on the LSISAS2x24, I would assume this expander is built on the LSISAS2x36 (but I know what they say about assuming)

Looking at the pictures of this thing online, I have no real idea how it'd be mounted without: some custom brackets and such, or double sided tape.

Anyone ever looked at this beast?

Edit: confirmed the chips. So why isn't anyone using this beast for their 24 bay and up builds?
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/servers/raid/raid-expander-res2cv.html

cafcwest

Feb 15, 2013
Richmond, VA
This would be a moot point if Intel had chosen to build a 'RES2SV360'. I think it is odd that they'd build a 24 and 36 port version in this format, but only a 24 port version in a standard PCI-E card. There is certainly a market for such a 36 port capable expander, and the technology was already there...

xnoodle

Jan 4, 2011
Not sure if they conform to any ATX patterns. Easiest way IMO would probably be drilling pilot holes, screwing in a few motherboard standoff screws, and then using standard motherboard screws.

At the time I was looking at SAS expanders, I don't remember the Intel 36 port being available at the time, and the port count on the HP SAS expander beat out the 24 ports on the Intel. I think it was it was just a first to (after)market thing. odditory's massive thread on [H] doesn't hurt the aftermarket penetration for HP's unit either.