Motherboard Suggestion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
Looking for a motherboard for FreeNAS machine. I have RAM, I will source a CPU and mobo.

Primary need:

I'm trying to use some RAM I already have. This is the DDR3 ECC commonly in Dell R610, etc. It is labeled as SAMSUNG M393B2K70DMB-YH9 PC3-1000R ECC Reg Quad Rank X4 1.35V CL9 240-Pin.

Other needs:

microATX form factor
4 DIMM Slots
Xeon
Reliable

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Seems impossible.
DDR3 RDIMM requires C602 chipsets and runs on a few X79 boards from ASRock. The only mATX board I can think of is X79 Extreme4-M.
While normal X79 boards from ASRock are increasingly hard to find, this one in particular is even more rare. And since it is quad-rank memory it might not even work here.
Some of the cheap chinese "X79" boards come in a mATX form factor, but if you want reliability this is probably not your first choice.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
The only boards I know of which fit your requirements are the Supermicro X8SIL variants - micro ATX, Xeon, take up to 32GB of ECC Reg quad rank only.

These are first gen core, the predecessors of the newer X9, X10, and X10 Xeon e3 boards, but the e3 Xeons all take expensive unbuffered ECC RAM only, the only one in your range is the X8.

X8 generation boards are also the minimum Intel generation required to be able to use non-FreeBSD VMs (including docker) on FreeNAS.

(If you don't need Linux VMs or Docker, you can put together a really cheap X7 system with tons of RAM which runs FreeNAS great otherwise.)