Motherboard sitting too low in Supermicro 743 chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OnSeATer

Jul 31, 2016
I'm trying to install a Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F in a Supermicro 743 chassis, and it is driving me completely crazy. Everything looks fine, but the motherboard is just a hair too low for the PCIe cards to click into place properly. To be clear the slots line up horizontally, but are a tiny bit too low.

I'm using the 6-32 to 6-32 standoffs as pictured in this post: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/cse-836-cse-ptjbod-cb1.9176/#post-84555

Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I am at a total loss for what. I guess I should just buy some washers and raise the motherboard a little bit, but I'm surprised that this is happening with parts that are supposed to be compatible. Any thing else I should check before going washer shopping?

Edit: Added some washers and it works ... but am still a little surprised this was necessary. I guess I'm just overthinking it, please feel free to delete this post.

Last edited: