Motherboard for Hynix HMT42GR7BMR4A-G7

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I just bought 24 sticks of Hynix HMT42GR7BMR4A-G7 (16gb each) and need a motherboard to put them in. I was going to get the Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ but I misread the supported memory, and it only officially supports HMT42GR7BMR4C-G7. Any suggestions on what motherboard I can use?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Have you tried contacting them to see if it will support it unofficially? Gotta be worth a shot. Does the the board have other 1.35V dimms on the hcl? If so, I would be very surprised if it doesn't run with it :)

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
Yeah, I contacted them and they say the DRAM chip is different so they don't know if it will work or not. Here's their exact response:

Any number on part number on memory is different, which would indicate using different DRAM chip. Different DRAM chip may contain different timing. Although the timing different is small but still could cause system to behave unstable.

Unable to confirm it would work fine without testing it.

When motherboards are designed, it designing close to chip specifications. This leaves little or no margin for error.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
I agree and completely understand their position. They have tested the board with various DIMM's and certified them as stable and reliable and that's what they will obviously support and stand behind for use in their products. I was hoping though, as you were, that they might have said something along the lines of "yes, this other RAM is also 1.35v and it worked, so you *should* get away with it, although it would be an unsupported configuration".

Obviously from a support perspective, where contracts are involved, rather than a home lab environment, and even then, you should really be using something from their HCL without question. I would check all the RAM listed on their HCL for that board though and see if any of it runs at 1.35V, if it does, it's possible your RAM will also work. If on the other hand it is all showing as 1.5V only, then I think you would be better to replace the RAM now rather than risking it, because if the RAM fries, so does the Mainboard.

Good luck with it :)

krasnaya

May 21, 2015
I haven't bought the motherboard yet, so I'm looking for suggestions for motherboards that support the RAM in question. My searches have failed to produce any results so far.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
When all else fails, I usually look at when manufacturing of a product began and or ended and then pick a date somewhere in the middle, then attempt to marry up boards or other parts that were also popular around the same time :)

azev

Jan 18, 2013
not sure the exact 16Gb hynix dimm I have but I am pretty sure it was the 1.35v version, I've used this dimm in variety of supermicro board and it worked just fine. I tried to stay within supermicro HCL but sometimes there are good deals that are too good to pass and been very lucky so far I guess.