Most silent 12TB HDD (helium filled)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mastakilla

Jul 23, 2019
Hi,

So far I wasn't able to find anywhere on the internet a decent noise comparison between 12TB (or larger) HDDs. I already know that helium filled HDDs are quite silent @ idle (and that is also the only specification that that most brands officially list), but I'd like to know which HDDs are the most silent @ load or which have the least annoying sounds with random access.
As far as I understand, it is a bit of a choice that needs to be made in the firmware between more aggressive and faster seek times and less noise. As almost all 12TB are more enterprise oriented, so I suppose they usually choose for a more aggressive and louder config in the firmware. That is why I find it even more important to investigate this aspect thoroughly before choosing which 12TB HDD to use.

I hope someone can tell me something about and even better if someone would have different brands / types of 12TB to do a direct (and less subjective) comparison.

I suspect that the WD RED (lower rpm) might be a good candidate, but as it currently is more than 100 euro more expensive then a Toshiba MG07SCA12TE, I certainly wonder how big the noise difference is... Also I've heard that the 8TB+ WD RED has a continuous annoying "maintenance-click" when idle.

Thanks!

Last edited: