Morning Reading - Loud noise knocks out ING data center

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
Don't forget the heatmaps you can create using D-Trace to see the effect of shouting at your servers.

Reactions: Patrick

Jon Massey

Nov 11, 2015
It's happened a couple of times before, once in Aus and once in Switzerland (IIRC). Surprised it's still happening!

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
what i don't get is how it shut down an entire data center? or are the reports exaggerating? you'd think a large bank would have multiple levels of redundancy so that if a site went dark, it would automatically cut over to other available sites? or did they do the same testing at all sites at the same time?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Don't forget the heatmaps you can create using D-Trace to see the effect of shouting at your servers.
Not heatmaps per say but I believe vibration affecting/directly correlating to latency if memory serves me correct but I'll let ya slide :-D

Makes ya wonder if ALL datacenters at 'some decibel boiling point' suffer from this increased latency due to 10's-100's of thousand spinning disks/servers roaring? Maybe I'm just paranoid but yeah another reason to go all flash! I'd imagine noise ='s vibration ='s latency correct?

Last edited: