More profitable use of GPU mining rigs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

coinstash

Mar 16, 2016
Brisbane
A broke uni student has come up with a way for GPU rigs to earn 2x-3x the best returns from crypto mining. He has started a business that can best be described as "AirBNB for GPUs" where the rig is rented to AI researchers in exchange for crypto.

Some more details below:

Rent out your GPU compute to AI researchers and make ~2x more than mining the most profitable cryptocurrency. • r/gpumining

If you have some spare hardware then jump in, there is a waiting list for GPUs already.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Really impressed with the website. About time someone put something like this together.

Submitted the application. Thanks for letting me know : )

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
I wonder If they end up getting big if Nvidia will attempt to shut them down. Remember Nvidia recently did a dick move that pretty much banned consumer cards from anything more than gaming and crypto.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
I wonder If they end up getting big if Nvidia will attempt to shut them down. Remember Nvidia recently did a dick move that pretty much banned consumer cards from anything more than gaming and crypto.
Nvidia can always tighten up their rules even more (i.e. pull another dick move), but, for the moment, the requirement for the drivers combined with consumer cards is that they "not run in a datacenter". It might not be easy to prove which of these servers are or are not running inside of a datacenter.

Certainly from a customer-facing perspective, it looks like they don't allow the end-user sufficient access to the server to make that determination.

Of course they can always change the license rules, as they've done in the past. It seems more like the licensing is going to discourage fortune 500's and mega hosters from trying to use these cards in their datacenters. Joe blow mom and pop may be "too small to sue".

If someone comes up with AI-capable open source drivers, then it wouldn't be possible to police in any case. Would be hard to claim "but licensing!" in that case.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Different industry, but Monsanto had a "too small to defend themself" philosophy when they sued small farmers for patent infringement (never mind the actual behavior of how seeds spread, etc).

Monsanto sued small famers to protect seed patents, report says
Certainly that could be a problem. It cuts both ways I suppose.

The people operating this service are a better target overall than the end users providing the GPUs. Small enough to be hard to defend themselves, but ultimately what makes the service possible. Suing every person with a couple GPUs sitting around who uses this service, that kind of gets to the point of suing grandma's for downloading mp3s.