MonoPrice 20% off today - no minimum

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Hello
I just saw this in my email. Today only, 20% off on MonoPrice, no minimum on purchase amount.

Code
SAVE20

Until yesterday, they had a code where you had to make a minimum purchase of $200 to the the 20% off. I used it, bought enough cables to last me a year, sure hope they are good quality, never purchased from them before.

Anyways, there are still a few hours left, if anyone needs the code.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
thanks for this info. unfortunately, i've stopped buying from them entirely. since their acquisition, things seem to have gone downhill in terms of quality. their prices are still decently low, but it seems like they are now just a retail outlet for their parent company.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Are you serious. I just bought $180 of cables from them last night. I debated between Fiberstore and MP, decided on MP because of the 20% off code. They were all cat6 cables.

I was hoping to get very good quality cables.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Are you serious. I just bought $180 of cables from them last night. I debated between Fiberstore and MP, decided on MP because of the 20% off code. They were all cat6 cables.

I was hoping to get very good quality cables.
unfortunately, yes. i've been buying from them since around 2010. they use to have really good quality items for a really low price. bought all sorts of cables, cat5e, cat6, hdmi, dp, wallplates, jacks, etc. my last purchase was earlier this year and late last year for spools of ethernet cables. the cable quality was very different from the previous spools I still have from them; the new stuff was thinner, the outer jacket would turn white and discolor if you bent it too much, and the twisted pairs were no longer separated by a "pair guide" thing that runs in the middle. don't get me wrong, they may work just fine... but even while pulling them through some cable management rails the outer jacket was getting damaged and bits were coming off; you have to treat them a bit more carefully.

if you didn't own the cables they use to sell, maybe you won't know the difference. i was running cables for a client of mine and i brought my own older spool from monoprice along with the newer stuff. even the client who saw the spools of cable commented and asked me if the old spool was some sort of special cable since it looked thicker and didn't discolor when you bent it. maybe i'm just picky, but i definitely noticed a difference in quality. it so happens, one of my clients also has an employee who use to work at monoprice - his story was that the place completely changed since the acquisition and why he and several colleagues have left.

adnan

Apr 23, 2017
Ok,
Well, I've got some cables from Fiberstore, and if they don't compare in quality, I will send them back.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
thanks for this info. unfortunately, i've stopped buying from them entirely. since their acquisition, things seem to have gone downhill in terms of quality. their prices are still decently low, but it seems like they are now just a retail outlet for their parent company.
When was it taken over? And by who? I thought it was odd when they shifted from selling their own products to being more a second tier amzn/egg.
I was thinking I ordered two boxes of cat6 from them in Q1/16, but I went with black box that time.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016

When did MP get bought out? Newegg did. Buy.com did. I don't recall a MP buyout.