Monero XMR CPU hashrates 2021

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent setup for my 1st upcoming Monero mining rig (Dual Epyc etc), but the results I've gathered are based on Google results from 2018-2020 and they vary - a lot! My budget is around 1000-1400€. Patrick's last thread about Monero is from year 2018 and much have changed since then.

I'd be interested gathering here some results you're having. Can you post your setup (CPU name, CPU model, CPU count, TDP per CPU, memory speed, total ram and memory channels, motherboard, miner details and settings, hash rate) and I'll keep adding the results to this post ~once per day.

Example (just if someone wants to parse these results):
Epyc;7601;2;180;2666;512;8;H11DSi-NT;xmr-something --with some settings, 18000
It would be also nice to hear your entire build and thoughts about your build; Why you chose what you got? When and where you got them and how much you paid for them? What plans do you have within the next 6 months with the system? Upgrading or replacing something? Buying another setup?
My build: ...
Results:

2678v3 x 2 : 12KH

Last edited:

Iaroslav

Aug 23, 2017
Kyiv
Depends on the CPU, MB etc price. You'll get 12KH with 2x Ryzen 3600 (65W TDP) and the resell value is much higher on those.
Agree
I'm just more into server intel stuff, got 5 chassis on a shelf. In nearly half of a year these CPUs should turn back, still worth $50-70 i hope

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
Agree
I'm just more into server intel stuff, got 5 chassis on a shelf. In nearly half of a year these CPUs should turn back, still worth $50-70 i hope
I'm too into server stuff for dedicated mining, but I just checked that 2678v3 is around 120W TDP plus the extra draw, so it consumes double the amount of power per hash rate vs Ryzen. Plus the noise.

But if I get a decent setup for dirt cheap, I definitely would try v3's and v4's. Bonus would be to get that thing build on SM chassis and swap the parts when ever upgrading (if possible)

Reactions: Iaroslav

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
for your information....if you use any epyc cpu (1st gen, 2nd or 3rd gen) always use all memory banks of your mainboard.

if your epyc mainboard has 8 slots for memory, then use all 8 slots with 8 RAM sticks and you will have full performance of cpu during mining.
if you use 4 of 8 memory slots (thus 4 ram sticks), your mining hashrate would be 2,5 (two and half) time lower than with 8 ram sticks.

my setup:

dual epyc 7742 QS cpu
16 ram sticks
hashrate 82-83 kh/s
bios: tdp set to 180 watt
used with 8 ram sticks >>> hashrate 32-33 kh/s

another setup:
dual epyc 7551 retail cpu
16 ram sticks
hashrate 30-31 kh/s
bios: no any tweak, all default.

hakabe

Jul 6, 2016
for your information....if you use any epyc cpu (1st gen, 2nd or 3rd gen) always use all memory banks of your mainboard.

if your epyc mainboard has 8 slots for memory, then use all 8 slots with 8 RAM sticks and you will have full performance of cpu during mining.
if you use 4 of 8 memory slots (thus 4 ram sticks), your mining hashrate would be 2,5 (two and half) time lower than with 8 ram sticks.

my setup:

dual epyc 7742 QS cpu
16 ram sticks
hashrate 82-83 kh/s

another setup:
16 ram sticks
hashrate 30-31 kh/s
What's your MB, Memory (speed and size) and XMR program parameters on these?

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
epyc 7551 >>>supermicro h11dsi rev.1.0

epyc 7742 >>> supermicro h11dsi rev.2.0

all boards with latest bios

more info: when setting tdp for dual epyc 7742 to AUTO, then hashrate is 95-96 kh/s. but the vrm-temp's go to 99°C. this is the reason i set tdp to 180 watt for better vrm-temp's

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021

my setup:

dual epyc 7742 QS cpu
16 ram sticks
hashrate 82-83 kh/s

another setup:
16 ram sticks
hashrate 30-31 kh/s
I've got a single 2s1404e2vjug5 (64 core Rome ES) sample running only 25 kh/s with only 4 sticks of RAM. The RAM was kind of expensive so I thought 4 might be enough (if Threadrippers can manage with 4 channels). Now I'm thinking I might need 8 sticks, but when I tried a test with 2 sticks, my hashrate only dropped down to 22.5kh/s, making me think that I'm not actually RAM-bottlenecked (11kh/s per channel). Do I really need 4 more sticks for 8 channel?

Why is there more performance on 16 vs 8 ram DIMMS? Aren't the 8 memory channels already active with just 8 sticks of RAM, why does it perform better? I'm confused :( (I'm on an ASUS KRPA-U16, so I have 16 RAM slots)

I will buy 4 more sticks if it makes a difference, but I want to make sure first.

When you used the 8 sticks, did you actually keep them in the right slots for 8 channel, or did you just remove 8 sticks that were all next to each other? (I guess this makes you only have 4 channels)

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
i just removed them. but removed and installed according to the manual of my board (supermicro h11dsi). thus, with 8 sticks were installed as manual tells
Hmm, really strange. I thought that it's all about using those 8 channels, and 8 vs 16 isn't really supposed to make a difference because it's not like there are more channels.

boomheadshot

Mar 20, 2021
Here it says that there are only 8 memory channels, so I've got no idea how you could have less performance with 8 sticks. The only explanation is that the DIMMs weren't in the correct slots so you didn't actually have 8 channels when you had 8 sticks, but you said that you had them installed correctly, so it's actually quite an interesting detail. Thanks for the info, I'll keep this in mind.

edit: it's important to use the EDC bug to get the performance out of these CPU's

Last edited: