Monero Pricing and What to do with XMR Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Never even tried solo mining here even when I had 1% of the global hash rate briefly last year.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Never even tried solo mining here even when I had 1% of the global hash rate briefly last year.

Yeah I did the math at one point and I predicted 1 block a week, but i figured it was worth 0.6% fee to smooth that out and make it consistent. By now I would have found dozens of blocks, and probably work itself out, but that is just one more type of stress in the already very stressful activity of holding crypto.

Patrick I was joking with my friend just yesterday that one of my Ryzen CPUs had already more than paid for itself, because I paid full retail launch price, and the other was a total money sink that would never pay off, because I paid 6 XMR... ;)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Yeah I did the math at one point and I predicted 1 block a week, but i figured it was worth 0.6% fee to smooth that out and make it consistent. By now I would have found dozens of blocks, and probably work itself out, but that is just one more type of stress in the already very stressful activity of holding crypto.

Patrick I was joking with my friend just yesterday that one of my Ryzen CPUs had already more than paid for itself, because I paid full retail launch price, and the other was a total money sink that would never pay off, because I paid 6 XMR... ;)
The way things are going today... it may indeed. Freefall day.

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Holy cow! 60M difficulty, almost 500Mh network hashrate. From where do they came? NetHas doubled just within last month.
WTF is going on? New large botnets?

nfsden

Apr 6, 2016
Here are one more proof that large botnets mining monero.
Take a look at monero hashrate distribution chart by pools

Chart was taken from http://minexmr.com/pools.htm

And again from where are comes almost 50% of network hashrate, from botnets based javascript webminers?

P.S.: By the way, Monero total network hashrate was roughly 260Mh just a month ago. And these numbers almost corresponds to current amount of hashing power that sits at public pools now

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015

And again from where are comes almost 50% of network hashrate, from botnets based javascript webminers?

P.S.: By the way, Monero total network hashrate was roughly 260Mh just a month ago. And these numbers almost corresponds to current amount of hashing power that sits at public pools now
Well SOMEONE is making some serious coin.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com

I don't trust the public monero pools. Haven't heard of any that a strong majority of feedback about them is positive. I'm running a private pool, even though these days the hashrate on it is going to give wildly inconsistent earnings. Still better than losing a massive percentage to fraud and/or downtime.

Anyone with 200KH or more really should be self pooling. On average should get a block every 3 days. Botnets are probably a major factor, but, first off, they do sometimes use public pools. This makes some sense -- having botnets connect to private pools makes it easier to track down the owner of the botnet. Secondly, anyone with a large (legitimate) hash rate should be private pooling amyway, so you can't assume that all of the 50% is coming from botnets for that reason as well.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
@funkywizard.
At the past months there have been a lot of news about found botnets that mining monero.
Yes, but the graph is not really evidence of how much of that is going on. Legitimate large miners should be using private pools. And I personally would expect botnets to be using public pools to make it harder to trace the person controlling the botnets.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
Yeah, but what's the alternative? I'm still making a healthy profit with very short time to ROI. AEON isn't the answer, (even though I mine that too), the rebase bounty may help that.
Aeon has been flirting with the same profit margin as Monero.

Doesn't help that whattomine has the wrong block reward posted for Aeon. I probably still would have ordered mining servers even if they had the correct reward there, but may not have bothered with Aeon.

It was at one point showing 40-50% more profit than Monero, so even if that was overreported by 20%, it's a good alternative, but certainly less appealing. However, at varying times today, 1100 H/s Monero has been worth just as much as 4100 H/s Aeon (the same server can do about that level on either).

So Aeon is a good choice for lower end PCs and servers (i7's, E3's), which perform much worse on Monero. E5's it's more of a toss-up. That's true even with "vegapocolypse" on monero mining difficulty.

However, you should be more worried about botnets "screwing up" Aeon than Monero. The types of computers most people have are going to perform better on Aeon than Monero, to a stronger degree than E5 servers, which have a smaller hash rate increase when mining Aeon vs Monero.

So take your pick: Vega cards dragging down Monero ROI for E5 CPUs, or i7 / E3 botnets dragging down Aeon ROI for E5 CPUs.

Anyhow, the competition keeps things interesting, and I can't begrudge people chasing the same opportunities I am. Still want to win, of course : )

xibo

Dec 25, 2017

MinerGate ?
That pool has been continually accused to be taking more fees than it claims to, but it is nevertheless one of the largest pools around, and it's missing in the chart.

As @funkywizard already wrote, miners with significant hashing power should be running their own pools anyway. At the same time, the behavior of MinerGate and it's "friends" might have motivated quite a number of miners to create their own mining pools or just solo mine.