Monero GPU mining in Docker with nvidia-docker

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
For those who want an easy way to mine Monero (XMR) using Docker here is a simple way to run a fairly optimized miner in Docker using nvidia-docker:

If you have a single GPU you can use:
Code:
nvidia-docker run -d -e username=example@example.com linuxbench/sth_monero_nvidia_gpu
If you have multiple NVIDIA GPUs you need to target one container per GPU. Here is the example for a dual GPU system:
Code:
NV_GPU=0 nvidia-docker run -d -e username=example@example.com --name GPU0_monero linuxbench/sth_monero_nvidia_gpu
NV_GPU=1 nvidia-docker run -d -e username=example@example.com --name GPU1_monero linuxbench/sth_monero_nvidia_gpu
.... and etc.
Replace example@example.com with your minergate username. We are tagging each GPU using NV_GPU and naming each of the miners so you can see which miner attaches to which GPU.

The advantage of using this method is that you can use this to easily launch Monero GPU mining on NVIDIA GPUs without having to worry about CUDA dependencies.

Note, there are no fees for using this image. If you do want to sign up using our minergate affiliate link (this would be appreciated), here it is:
Smart multicurrency mining pool & 1-click GUI miner

We have tested this image up to 8 GPUs in a system.

Reactions: gigatexal

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Not ready to make this primetime yet (need a bit more testing) however:

Minergate version:
Code:
nvidia-docker run -d -e username=example@example.com servethehome/monero_gpu_nv_minergate
Moneropool version:
Code:
nvidia-docker run -d -e username=walletID servethehome/monero_gpu_nv_moneropool

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Updated a xmrpool.net version to include the container name (so you can find it later):

Code:
NV_GPU=0 nvidia-docker run -itd -e username=walletID --name GPU0_monero servethehome/monero_gpu_nv_xmrpooldotnet
Replace walletID with your wallet ID.

So far I have ~18 GPUs running that container which is really helping when it comes to finding the machine/ container mining. xmrpool.net allows you to use an identifier so these use the container ID. I did the same with the CPU version so you can find containers easily.

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Good day,

i have copy/pasted the above code: "nvidia-docker run -d -e username=example@example.com linuxbench/sth_monero_nvidia_gpu" to my CMD and received the following return massage:

´nvidia-docker´is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

any idea why it won't engage the miner? i am running a GTX770 4Gb

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Thank you Patrick for your reply,

i Run W10, sudo gives me error in the CMD field. i did not install anything other than docker as of now

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
i further teached myself into the mining and found out that neither W10 nor OSX 10.12 does support the nvidia-docker plugin... what OS would you generally recommend for an as easy as possible miner?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Panamax - busy day here. Apologies for the tardy reply.

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS is the way to go.

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Thank you Patrick, going to dive into Ubuntu... can i install the OS on a simple USB3 dongle or do you recommend to have it running from an SSD?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Only need a small size 16gb SSD for Ubuntu OS.

Patrick and I used some cheap M2 16gb SSD about $5 each.

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
i only have 480gb Sandisk SSD´s around thats why im asking if it can run from a USB drive... what would be the problems caused by the USB3 option?

Panamax

Nov 27, 2016
Installed Ubuntu, as mentioned and with CPU+GPU (2698V4 ES 2,3ghz + 770 4Gb OC) i hash between 600 and 900 using 300W i let it settle for 12h to calculate the efficiency...

One more question...
Can i run different versions of Nvidia GPU´s in parallel, i have a 980Ti i may could add to the miner, having a 770 and a 980Ti running together???

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Moving the post. Replied in wrong thread :)

Last edited:

cl445

Mar 12, 2017
I've got some problems with docker-images in combination with (nvidia-)docker-compose . I can't pass the parameter to the entrypoint. How is the entrypoint specified? Is someone able to fix it? Or is it even possible to get the build-file?