Mods please close this thanks

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Easy Solutions Incorporated, why don't you list your advanced requirements? We know your basic requirements now, which matches pretty well with Netgear. But you are vague arguments as to why that doesn't match your requirements (requirements are not emotions).

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
first off while I work for the the company as an solutions architect, i am not the company. This is for my homelab only so i can work remote.

My requirements are set i do not need to explain to you why they are that way.

managed
10GBASE-T RJ45
24 ports or 48 ports
Fans
2 or 4 sfp+ 10g
Prefer dual power supplies but single will work

I do not need 1Gbt

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I doubt it :) TP Link is an even cheaper brand than Netgear - and OP has still not told us what brands he prefer.
I've seen some super-rare (like 5 times in 30 years) ethernet hardware incompatibility with Netgear switches, so that could be the reasoning, but your hunch was correct in that tplink was off the table.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
My requirements are set i do not need to explain to you why they are that way.
Yes, you do. And you also need to be complete in your requirements and not make vague statements, only to have more requirements materialise on later posts. This is a forum, not a helpdesk.

None of the requirements you have described so far are advanced, and most options suggested have matched the basic requirements that you have described.

If you want helpful replies, you have to state helpful requests and not make people dig around for you with broken information.

Without more accurate and complete information, you're going to end up with a quanta LB8 or similar Broadcom reference platform (practically all Trident+ or Trident2) switch. They can be had for $300 and are 48-port SFP+ switch models. You can use cheap FS.com copper SFP modules. They can be had with dual hot-swap PSUs as well. Example listings: Quanta LB8 48 Port 10G SFP+ Layer 4 10GbE Switch 48x10G | eBay

If you can get your SFPs cheap, go for the more expensive LY8 or LY9 instead, it doesn't use the Freescale CPU but an Intel one instead. Mostly relevant for speedy boot and configuration, not for traffic as the fabric ASIC is still a Trident2.

Last edited:
Reactions: nabsltd

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
The supply chain issue has been ongoing for years, that's nothing new. Covid just brought more attention to it.
There's a huge difference between the supply chain issues from pre-2020 and what is happening right now. Those network manufacturers cannot produce any switches because they have zero supplies of UART and serial driver ICs. Reputed manufacturers started sourcing second hand hardware in bulk simply so that they could desolder and use those components (worth usually a few cents) in their new switches. You might think that some of them would keep on hand a stock of hundreds of thousands of driver ICs - because they are worth $0.10 each - but hey everyone wanted to do Kan-ban and JIT :rolleyes: :D

There is also rj45 to optic adapters, ill order a bunch of those to try as well
When buying those adapters - if you do 10G and nothing else you're good. If you do multi-Gig (like 2.5 or 5) you might run into problems with some transceivers

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
Get a VDX 6740 SFP+ switch for cheap and just put the leftover budget into getting the RJ45 SFP+'s. You'll have 24/48 Ports of 10G and 4 40G ports. It looks like that or a similar SFP switch are going to be your best options on this.

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
Yes, you do. And you also need to be complete in your requirements and not make vague statements, only to have more requirements materialise on later posts. This is a forum, not a helpdesk.

None of the requirements you have described so far are advanced, and most options suggested have matched the basic requirements that you have described.

If you want helpful replies, you have to state helpful requests and not make people dig around for you with broken information.
Thanks for the snarky attitude, it gives me more of a reason to not bother with the forums each day.

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
I still have this one I'm looking at selling, has spare parts. You don't want the gbics that are pictured, which is fine. Comes with 2 extra fan/power supply modules. It's fully licensed on all ports. $600

The VDX also had a 10baseT siwtch, found one here: Brocade BR-VDX6740T-64-R Switch 48Port 10GBASE-T and 4 QSFP+ ports w/ 2 PSU | eBay

There's a 6740-1G version out there too so make sure you don't accidently buy that one.

20201204_235915.jpg20201205_000639.jpg

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
Thanks for the snarky attitude, it gives me more of a reason to not bother with the forums each day.
What you call snarky, we call reality. Nobody is here to 'serve' you. You asked a partial question and then complain that people ask for more information. Then, when pointed out, you pretend that it's not you that is causing friction, but everyone else.

At this point, the most information we got is basic requirements and what you *don't* want, without a common denominator. And a vague requirement for advanced features. So far, about 6 very good options were shared, and you didn't like any of them and a new requirement was added afterwards. That's not really all that great to work with.

Here is the current list of switches that matched and then didn't match your needs:
  • Netgear Prosafe XS728T
  • TP-Link T1700G-28TQ
  • Cisco SX550X-24
  • Cisco SX550X-52-K9-NA
  • ICX-6610/6650
  • S5860-24XB-U
  • Arista 7140T-8S-R
  • Quanta LB8
  • VDX 6740 SFP+
  • ICX-7850
At this point you're out of options. You don't want to spend money, and you don't want what fits your budget. If this was a venn diagram, you'd be sitting in an empty space between two circles.

Last edited:

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
I don't get it. If you have an ICX-7850, why do you need a different switch? It meets all of your requirements, especially since it costs $0 since you already have it.

Reactions: rkrenicki

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
The 7850 is on loan from my employer, they will need it back . Iv already ordered some rj45 to optics , and will see how those work before purchasing the vdx. Thanks everyone for your assistance.

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
It's only useful to have the proper terminology if you want people to be able to provide you useful guidance. Since 'RJ45 to optics' (media converters) are a thing that actually exists, and are not the same thing as 10GbaseT SFP+ modules, I thought it would be useful to distinguish between the two.

Reactions: itronin

SadoKitten

Apr 26, 2018
iowa
ezsolutions.us
It's only useful to have the proper terminology if you want people to be able to provide you useful guidance. Since 'RJ45 to optics' (media converters) are a thing that actually exists, and are not the same thing as 10GbaseT SFP+ modules, I thought it would be useful to distinguish between the two.
I realize that just not really awake right now.

Reactions: itronin

is39

Oct 5, 2022
If you do not mind splitting QSFP+ for your SFP+ needs you can use Force10 S4820T or Dell/Force10 S4048T-ON.
They sell for <$1K and have 48 10Gbase-T plus 4..6 QSFP+.

You can also get Dell N4032 (24 x 10Gbase-T) with, say, 4 x SFP+ module, for about $500-600.
Dell 8132 pretty much the same switch (older SKU).
Force10 OS is better though (imho).

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Just got hold of a Ubiquiti XG-24 - 24 ports of 1/2.5/5/10GbE and 2 SFP ports that can do 10/25GbE. It's a bit over your budget at $1299 but that is MSRP. If you're doing clusters with the Topton 2.5GbE NUCs - this is a no-brainer.

The only downside to this is that it needs a UniFi controller to change settings (if you dont have a unifi controller, it will do DHCP and work perfectly as a L2 switch)

Status
Not open for further replies.