Modems for CenturyLink/Frontier/Charter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I'm moving to a new city, and I'm looking at ISPs in the area. There isn't much in terms of "quality" internet, or high speeds. However, as the title states, I'm looking for a Modem that'll work with the companies listed above, I'd rather not use an All-In-One, if possible. I have my own OpnSense/pfSense system I'd like to use, and my own L3 switches. The internet available isn't the best bang for your buck, but I'll take what I can. If I can't get a modem that's a "pass through", I'll take a "SOHO" style one.

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Regardless of speed bundle you are gonna pick, there is only one choice in modems: Motorola Arris CM8200a/SB8200, it has been stable here on Cox 150mbit for years now. Highly recommended! And Docsis 3.1 gives you channels which are almost private with little congestion.

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
Regardless of speed bundle you are gonna pick, there is only one choice in modems: Motorola Arris CM8200a/SB8200, it has been stable here on Cox 150mbit for years now. Highly recommended! And Docsis 3.1 gives you channels which are almost private with little congestion.
Sounds good. Soon as I'm settled on a place, I'll be picking up one of these. My opnsense router is setup for 10G speeds via RJ45 or SFP+.

I'm one of those gents that has a fair amount of storage space, and I do a lot of archiving of various materials. Will this modem handle the abuse?

dandanio

Oct 10, 2017
Oh it will. I do a lot of archiving as well, usually downloading over high speed links from multiple sources using various protocols. I have it paired with a Cisco 1921, super stable. Check out this a bit chaotic but informative thread.

Reactions: BinaryData

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
Oh it will. I do a lot of archiving as well, usually downloading over high speed links from multiple sources using various protocols. I have it paired with a Cisco 1921, super stable. Check out this a bit chaotic but informative thread.
Awesome. Thanks again man! While I've got your attention, I'm wondering if I should have them do the install or if they will do the install for my Modem?

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
If you go centurylink (DSL) there are not very many good options for modems, best option is to put the centurylink modem in bridged mode and then do the pppoe login on the pfsense box.

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
If you go centurylink (DSL) there are not very many good options for modems, best option is to put the centurylink modem in bridged mode and then do the pppoe login on the pfsense box.
Looks like I might be going with Spectrum, no one else even gets close to the speeds I want. I've gotta call another company and find out if they offer FTTH directly, and no modem BS.

BinaryData

Dec 27, 2015
Well, an update for you.

Spectrum told me if I use my own hardware, and my internet goes down, they'll charge me $45 for a visit, but do nothing. If I use their gear, then it's a free service.

The router they have me on now, is an ARRIS router. Not sure if they all are or not but yeah, to get gigabit down, all I've gotta do is just request it, and they flip a switch. Is it normal to get an ARRIS router with my standard install or is this something new?