Modding/upgrading Arista switches?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I found a paper discussing running the Bro IDS on an Arista switch. They had it setup where the VM read the events and offloaded to collectors on compute nodes. With a few nodes they were able to process 50Gbps real-time. They said the limitation to getting to 100Gbps wasn't the switch, but the collector nodes.
Can you share this paper you are referring to? I work in this space, and I've never seen Bro perform very well. Processing 50Gbps for Bro is no small task... so, I'm very curious about this... please sure if you don't mind.

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
I was curious so I quickly skimmed that paper and it would appear that the Arista switches aren't actually doing any of the IDS inspection, they are simply passing the traffic to a separate Bro cluster which is performing the primary IDS inspection and traffic enforcement/ACLs. It looks like the Bro cluster in their particular instance is a five node cluster, each node equipped with two 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge six-core processors (w/HT enabled). The paper expects that the five node cluster can support 50Gb of throughput, but additional nodes would be needed to grow beyond that.

oddball

May 18, 2018
I was curious so I quickly skimmed that paper and it would appear that the Arista switches aren't actually doing any of the IDS inspection, they are simply passing the traffic to a separate Bro cluster which is performing the primary IDS inspection and traffic enforcement/ACLs. It looks like the Bro cluster in their particular instance is a five node cluster, each node equipped with two 3.5GHz Ivy Bridge six-core processors (w/HT enabled). The paper expects that the five node cluster can support 50Gb of throughput, but additional nodes would be needed to grow beyond that.
Yes, I re-read the paper and saw that as well. And now that I've had a chance to load some VM's on the switches themselves I can see why...

oddball

May 18, 2018
As luck would have it I ended up with another 7050qx-32s for pennies on the dollar. I talked to a network company I’ve purchased from and they had a scratch and dent model. It was missing RAM and a USB DOM. Perfect coincidence, I had both of those laying on my desk from the upgrades. So $400 later I had my pair...

I finally got to build a mlag with these things. It’s a really cool feature where both switches appear as a single device. You then have port-channels that span the pair. Hosts get a full 20/80Gbps and it’s fully redundant without spanning tree.

Next step is to get the IDS’ rolling. I have done some testing and will try snort and suricata on docker or in a VM. For comparison I have a 1U that I’ll be running the same program on as a comparison.

I’m wondering if EOS can do a port-mirror to a bridged VM...

I’m also trying to get some flow monitoring up in a docker image as well. I’ve been trying a few tools and nothing has impressed me yet.

Luzer

Mar 1, 2015
Midwest
Not sure if anyone is actually following this, but I'm going to keep updating to chronicle things. If anyone else is interested in this it'll finally be available via Google.

More updates:
On the 7050QX-32S... it has an m.2 slot. So I did the most obvious thing in the world and ordered a WD Sata SSD from Amazon. The drive didn't come with a screw, but thankfully I have a giant bag of "computer screws" that I've saved over the years and I was able to secure the m.2 to the motherboard without an issue.
is your 7050QX-32S still running ok? I'm thinking about ordering one and installing a m.2 ssd (if the one i get has one).

do you have a link to the ram you purchased?

oddball

May 18, 2018
Still running like a champ.

I don't have a link, I think I purchased the RAM from someone on ebay. It was one of those RAM warehouse deals, the RAM was new and had a few years of warranty.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
@pcmoore good catch! Arista supports native qemu virtual machines, and from some googling it looks like you can just take a VMware image and get it to run.

I have a Windows 2012 VM laying around I might experiment with. The Windows thing is for fun, I want to see if it works.

The biggest limitation is the RAM. If I could get to 16GB or 32GB I'd do it without a second thought. But 8GB is limiting, my thought is to get very slim versions of these things running. So a VM/Container with 512Mb of ram. I don't want to drop below 2GB free, which I'll leave for the control-plane, so I will have about 6GB to work with.

But outside of that this is a great platform. I want to run a few VM's on here to monitor flows and network traffic. My original intent was monitoring in virtual machines, but I'm wondering if docker containers are easier to work with. Here's a great write-up (Containerizing my NSM stack — Docker, Suricata and ELK)
If the Crow CPU board is a GX420CA, then congratulations, the chip itself can do 16GB of RAM. The GX420CA is the exact APU found in the HP t620 Plus thin clients that the others on this forum uses for pfsense, and I know for a fact that they'll take up to 16GB of DDR3L (2x8GB). You can probably go above 16GB if your equipment accepts 16GB DDR3Ls and you have more than 1 slot.

As for the Raven, the specs almost match the Turion II Neo N36/40/54Ls found in the HP MicroServer Gen 7 - it's most likely an OEM version of the Geneva (45nm) K8. In that case, they should definitely support up to 16GB, but with very picky RAM typing. I am not sure about 32 in that case - I strongly doubt it. if you have spare RAM that can fit the footprint, give it a try.

From what I understand Arista EOS is nothing but a tweaked version of Fedora x64 (FC14 on the older builds, not sure what nowadays)

Hey, do me a favor when you get to a bash shell? Can you run the following:
lspci -vvv
Look for anything that contains ACS+ or ARI+
Also, look to see if the dmesg/bootlogs reference AMD-vi or IOMMU being enabled.
I want to see if Arista has a provision with AMD to implement single-root IO virtualization on that SoC. If it does, it can mean even better performance for virtualized networking on your Arista gear.

Last edited:

oddball

May 18, 2018
No mention of ACS or ARI from lspci on any switch. Here are other relevant details.

7050qx-32s
[admin@spine1 ~]$ dmesg | grep IOM
[ 0.000000] AGP: Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup

From the 7124sx:
[admin@Toolbox ~]$ dmesg | grep IOM
[ 0.000000] Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
[ 0.346160] PCI-DMA: using GART IOMMU.
[ 0.346160] PCI-DMA: Reserving 64MB of IOMMU area in the AGP aperture

From a 7050q-16:

[admin@leaf1 ~]$ dmesg | grep IOM
[ 0.000000] Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
[ 0.404668] PCI-DMA: using GART IOMMU.
[ 0.404672] PCI-DMA: Reserving 64MB of IOMMU area in the AGP aperture

So it appears the Raven board has IOMMU enabled, whereas the Crow does not.

Here are CPU's for the various models:
7050qx-32s (Crow)
[admin@spine1 proc]$ cat cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 22
model : 0
model name : AMD GX-420CA SOC with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
stepping : 1
microcode : 0x700010f
cpu MHz : 2000.100
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 4
core id : 0
cpu cores : 4
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq monitor ssse3 cx16 sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3dnowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt topoext perfctr_nb perfctr_l2 arat hw_pstate proc_feedback npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save tsc_scale flushbyasid decodeassists pausefilter pfthreshold vmmcall bmi1 xsaveopt
bugs : fxsave_leak
bogomips : 4000.20
TLB size : 1024 4K pages
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm 100mhzsteps hwpstate [11]

7124sx (Raven)

processor : 1
cpu family : 16
model : 6
model name : AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N41L Dual-Core Processor
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 1499.888
cache size : 1024 KB
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
cpuid level : 5
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monito r cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3d nowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips : 3000.22
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

7050q-16
processor : 1
cpu family : 16
model : 6
model name : AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N41H Dual-Core Processor
stepping : 3
microcode : 0x10000b6
cpu MHz : 1499.929
cache size : 1024 KB
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
cpuid level : 5
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt pdpe1gb rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow constant_tsc rep_good nopl nonstop_tsc extd_apicid pni monito r cx16 popcnt lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy abm sse4a misalignsse 3d nowprefetch osvw ibs skinit wdt nodeid_msr hw_pstate npt lbrv svm_lock nrip_save
bogomips : 2999.85
address sizes : 48 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management: ts ttp tm stc 100mhzsteps hwpstate

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yes, Crow has one and Raven two.
Oh, that's...inconvenient.
The APU on the Crows are more advanced and likely more future-proof, but it'll support only a single 16GB DDR3L RAM stick max. The Ravens can get to 16GB via 2x8GB DDR3Ls. That being said, if you are in the market for a switch that can do 40GbE via QSFPs, those Aristas are probably good bang for the buck. How are they noise-wise? I am thinking of buying an Arista 7050 to play around with. How noisy and power hungry are they?

Last edited:

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
With Default settings they are too loud for an Office.
Fans Set to 30% are More quiet, ~39dba according to my Nexus 5x

oddball

May 18, 2018
Oh, that's...inconvenient.
The APU on the Crows are more advanced and likely more future-proof, but it'll support only a single 16GB DDR3L RAM stick max. The Ravens can get to 16GB via 2x8GB DDR3Ls. That being said, if you are in the market for a switch that can do 40GbE via QSFPs, those Aristas are probably good bang for the buck. How are they noise-wise? I am thinking of buying an Arista 7050 to play around with. How noisy and power hungry are they?
I thought about this for a while last night. If you have a Raven and a Crow I *think* you can try something. The motherboard has a connector on it. The front of the control plane is where the ASIC's and the chip reside. The back is the ram, flash, power connectors. The back is the Raven vs Crow. I would be curious to see what happens if you toss a Raven with the quad core processor and better ASIC's. If you were to do that you could jump to 32GB of ram.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
@oddball can you link to the type of M.2 SSD you're using in the 7050qx-32S, or post a pic of the M.2 slot? From the pictures I've seen (like attached, from another thread, I just see what appears to be a full size SATA data + power port coming off the mobo vertically for a caddy of some type. Is there an actual M.2 slot out of view? Want to make sure I order the right drive :)

Finally have one of these things on its way, excited for yet another 40gb switch I have no need for

Attachments

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I would be curious to see what happens if you toss a Raven with the quad core processor and better ASIC's. If you were to do that you could jump to 32GB of ram.
I don't have my switch yet, but it seems the management CPU is on the rear card (the amd chip to the right of the USB DOM in the pic I posted), and the ASIC is on the front (asic and management cpu are not on the same card). Either way, started a deep dive into EOS fw earlier tonight, came across something you might be interested in. In the EOS filesystem, navigate to \usr\share\NorCal

all these fdl files define the chassis data, just cat one to view.

Contents of ClearlakeCrowS1.fdl (our 7050qx-32S):

Code:
# This file describes everything specific to the switch that consists of
# a Clearlake switch card and a Crow CPU card
description = "32 QSFP+ + 4 SFP+ 1RU"
baseSku = "DCS-7050QX-32S"

numSfpPorts = 4
numTenGigFortyGigPorts = 24
numFortyGigOnlyPorts = 8
numQsfpPorts = numTenGigFortyGigPorts + numFortyGigOnlyPorts
numPortsWithMacAddr = numTenGigFortyGigPorts * 4 + numFortyGigOnlyPorts + numSfpPorts
# this file stitches the Crow cpu card together with a Clearlake switch card
# the cards share a connector that connects PCIE busses, an Smbus and gpios between
# the two cards
# the Crow.fin file provides the following variables to allow components on the
# switch card to be plumbed into the system.
# SwitchPciRoot -- a dict of invPciBridge objects that hook up to the pci topology
#                  on the switch card. the number of items is based on the
#                  Sw2CpuPcieBridgeNums dict below.
# _configCpuSmbusDevices( smbus ) -- a function in the cpu card called when the
#                  smbus object for the smbus is created on the switch card, this
#                  should be used to initialize all smbus devices on the cpu card

# the pcie topology between the switch and CPU card, first bridge is connected to the
# Trident, the second to the scd
# configure how the CPU card creates the pcie links to the swtich card

# configure how the switch card looks up the pci root for the pcie components
Sw2CpuPcieBridgeNums = { 0 : ( 0x2, 1 ), 1 : ( 0x2, 2 ) }

backToFrontCoolingSupported = True
frontToBackCoolingSupported = True

# XXX_THEBE: These are cloverdale values
forwardInletTempToCoolingLevel ={25.0: 2, 33.33: 3, 37.5: 4, 40.0: 5}
reverseInletTempToCoolingLevel ={20.0: 2, 30.0: 3, 35.0: 4, 40.0: 5}
You can see it's quite modular/flexible, it even states "#this file stitches the Crow cpu card together with a Clearlake switch card" implying arbitrary stitching is possible (given physical limitations of course).

And, indeed, it seems a descriptor file for exactly what you wanted to do (combine a raven management plane with the 7050qx-32S ASIC board "codename clearlake") already exists!

ClearlakeRavenS1.fdl -

Code:
# This file describes everything specific to the switch that consists of
# a Clearlake switch card and a Raven CPU card
description = "32 QSFP+ + 4 SFP+ 1RU"
baseSku = "DCS-7050QX-32S"

numSfpPorts = 4
numTenGigFortyGigPorts = 24
numFortyGigOnlyPorts = 8
numQsfpPorts = numTenGigFortyGigPorts + numFortyGigOnlyPorts
numPortsWithMacAddr = numTenGigFortyGigPorts * 4 + numFortyGigOnlyPorts + numSfpPorts
# this file stitches the raven cpu card together with a Clearlake switch card
# the cards share a connector that connects PCIE busses, an Smbus and gpios between
# the two cards
# the Raven.fin file provides the following variables to allow components on the
# switch card to be plumbed into the system.
# SwitchPciRoot -- a dict of invPciBridge objects that hook up to the pci topology
#                  on the switch card. the number of items is based on the
#                  Sw2CpuPcieBridgeNums dict below.
# _configCpuSmbusDevices( smbus ) -- a function in the cpu card called when the
#                  smbus object for the smbus is created on the switch card, this
#                  should be used to initialize all smbus devices on the cpu card

# the pcie topology between the switch and CPU card, first bridge is connected to the
# Trident, the second to the scd
# configure how the CPU card creates the pcie links to the swtich card

# configure how the switch card looks up the pci root for the pcie components
Sw2CpuPcieBridgeNums = { 0 : ( 0x4, 0 ), 1 : ( 0x9, 0 ) }

backToFrontCoolingSupported = True
frontToBackCoolingSupported = True

# XXX_THEBE: These are cloverdale values
forwardInletTempToCoolingLevel ={25.0: 2, 33.33: 3, 37.5: 4, 40.0: 5}
reverseInletTempToCoolingLevel ={20.0: 2, 30.0: 3, 35.0: 4, 40.0: 5}
The only values differing between the two (other than comments) are Sw2CpuPcieBridgeNum, which I would assume are the pci-e lane/bridge identifiers of where the MGMT CPU should expect to talk to the switch ASIC.

I wouldn't count on the switch being smart enough to load this correct profile when mixing in a new mgmt board automatically, I have some more digging to do but it seems the config that gets loaded is based on FDL identifier data stored on the switch nonvolatile storage. Separate from all the usb/sata/etc flash storage there's an MXIC SPI flash chip soldered to the board, this contains aboot, fdl chassis ident data, serials, the burned in MAC, etc:

Code:
   'norcal4' : {
               'total' :    { 'start' : 0x000000, 'length' : 0x0800000 },
               'prefdl' :   { 'start' : 0x010000, 'length' : 0x000f000 },
               'mfgdata' :  { 'start' : 0x01f000, 'length' : 0x0001000 },
               'fdl' :      { 'start' : 0x020000, 'length' : 0x0010000 },
               'fallback' : { 'start' : 0x030000, 'length' : 0x03f0000 },
               'image' :    { 'start' : 0x420000, 'length' : 0x03db000 },
The contents of the script \usr\bin\flashUtil details some of the contents and addresses of said SPI flash, and seems to fully support dumping said data sections to files, and also the reverse (writing a file you provide to said flash chip). I would not run the script yet though, even with just a help arg passed, if something goes wrong or behaves not like we'd expect, wiping out the aboot section of SPI flash would brick the switch. I have tools for SPI flash raw reading/writing (and arista was nice enough to break out the chip to a SPI header), so when my switch arrives I'll see what I can get the script to do. I'd imagine worst case, to change the chassis ident to a different mgmt cpu/asic combo it would just be something like "flashutil -w fdl customfdl.bin"

for someone who enjoys reverse engineering things until they break,. the openness of EOS has been quite enjoyable, even if I only have it running in a VM currently

Last edited:

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Interesting sidenote: the FDL file for the 7050 that ships with an SSD (DCS-7050QX-32S-SSD) has this appended to the end (everything else is the same):

Code:
invStorageDeviceDir = system.component.newEntity( "Inventory::StorageDeviceDir",
                                                     "storageDeviceDir" )
storageDevice = invStorageDeviceDir.newStorageDevice( "ssd1" )
storageDevice.description = "SSD drive"
storageDevice.address = Value( "Inventory::PciAddress", domain=0, bus=0, slot=0x11, function=0 )
storageDevice.type = "ssd"
storageDevice.sizeGB = 120
storageDevice.disableWriteCache = True
I remember you got yours working with an added on SSD no problem (on a chassis using the stock non-ssd FDL chassis descriptor), I wonder what the above would be needed for then, if anything

oddball

May 18, 2018
Yes, mine have the m.2 slot. Let me see if I can find a picture on my phone and upload. I purchased a cheap Crucial 256Gb for $100 on Amazon. It's m.2 SATA ssd.

But... I also purchased for a different switch an industrial SATA SSD that hooks into that slot you point out. I purchased one on ebay, it was 128GB for $35 from China, it looked like this (16GB SSD SATA SERIAL ATA HDD HARD DRIVE FOR COMPUTER THINCLIENT DOC DOM FLASH | eBay)

The form factor is perfect, it snaps in and doesn't extend. It took forever to ship/receive. Maybe three or four weeks. I was worried it was lost in customs, but it eventually arrived.

The switches detected the drive, but I had to format and partition with fdisk then reboot. After that everything worked fine. You can do a "dir drive:" and it'll show the drive.