Mixing Intel Kit A2U44X25NVMEDK with SM AOC-SLG3-4E4R on X10DRH-CT

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by nephri, May 26, 2019.

1. nephri

nephri Active Member

Hi,

I have an Intel Kit A2U44X25NVMEDK

https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Intel-A2U44X25NVMEDK-hot-swap-cage-front.jpg

https://www.servethehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Intel-A2U44X25NVMEDK-hot-swap-cage-rear.jpg

That normally use a proprietary "hba" that seems to work only with compatible Intel Chassis.

I would know if someone have tried to connect this enclosure directely to
    - a AOC-SLG3-4E4R from 4 Nvme connectors (white ones)
    - a LSI 9300-8i from 2 Sas connectors (black ones)

The question is it the enclosure forward "standard" protocols on wires that can be handled by appropriate HBA (NVME or SAS one) ?

I ask here if someone already played with theses kinds of tests !!

Another question is it the AOC-SLG3-4E4R compatible with a SuperMicro X10DRH-CT
    This HBA didn't seems to have a PLX and need to use bifurcation and it seems to be an issue for many of peoples.

I already have the Intel Kit, and i would like to be able to use it with my HomeLab Storage Appliance built on top of an X10DRH-CT (i'm ready to buy an AOC card if needed)

So, any information are welcome since i would be sure to be able to do it to work before investings money...

Best regards,
    S├ębastien.

2. nephri

nephri Active Member

Another question, is someone sucessfully used a AOC-SLG3-4E4R with FREEBSD ?
    Manuals say it works on Linux, Windows and VMWare...

3. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I have some Intel NVME enclosures similar I got with the intention of using them with SuperMIcro motherboard, nvme aoc, and a desktop\tower case for a quiet in-office 'all in one'...

I may actually have time to build it here this cming week too and will keep you posted :)

There shouldn't be any issue using it with the SM NVME AOC though.

nephri likes this.
  4. nephri

nephri Active Member

It would be awesome if you could do the test :p
    Wait & see and keep in touch

5. Aestr

Aestr Active Member

FWIW I have had no luck with the AOC-SLG3-4E4R in any motherboard, even ones that support bifurcation for other NVME HBAs. I have had success with the AOC-SLG3-4E4T on an X10SRW-F, which also happens to be on the qualified list for that AOC. YMMV and certainly my testing wasn't exhaustive, but you should go in expecting that it's by no means guaranteed to work, and you may lose money on the AOC.

6. nephri

nephri Active Member

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  7. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Doh! I need to buy occulink cables still myself.

I can try on the older gen NVME AOC though. Should work fine though its just a backplane.

Oculink cables are not cheap :(

8. nephri

nephri Active Member

I asked to SuperMicro for compatibilty with my motherboard (X10DRH-CT) and i had this answer:

Those cards have not been tested /validated by Supermicro on this MBD X10DRH-CT so we cannot guarantee that they will work properly however see below some information:

- AOC-SLG3-4E4T
    For the AOC-SLG3-4E4T, you may need to remove JP5 and JP6, then set JP7 to pins 1-2 to check if the drives are detected correctly
    Additionally see the AOC-SLG3-4E4T manual link: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-4E4T.pdf

- AOC-SLG3-4E4R
    Should be OK on slot 6 .
    Additionally see the AOC-SLG3-4E4R manual link: https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/AOC-SLG3-4E4R.pdf

9. nephri

nephri Active Member

Did you make some tests ?

10. jerrytsao

jerrytsao New Member

AOC-SLG3-4E4R is known to have limited compatibility even with SM boards, as Larry has pointed out here.

I would suggest using A2U8X25S3PHS + AOC-SLG3-4E4T, both are updated version with 8 PCIe NVMe/SAS/SATA slots (vs 4 PCIe NVMe only) + Redtimer (better compatibility than Redriver), you can check them working on X10DRG-Q here (in Chinese), also OcuLink SFF-8611 to SFF-8611 cable ie. CBL-SAST-0819 is about the same price as SFF-8643 to SFF-8643 cable.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    nephri likes this.
  11. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

i got a Intel A2U44X25NVMEDK kit from ebay. I'm hoping to use the hba card with my dell r730 server to access the 4 nvme 2.5 drive bays on the dell.

Has anyone gotten it to work with something other then intel server? I havent tried it on the server yet, waiting for a downtime window to play with it. I also need to get a cheap nvme u.2 drive to test once i put the card in the server.

12. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

There's at-least one other thread about the Intel NVME adapters in non-intel, they don't work.

13. redeamon

redeamon Member

You're going to need a Dell NVMe Extender. I have an extra r730xd nvme kit (card+cable) if you want it- PM me. Any other card won't work b/c the backplane is "smart" and allows for either a SAS3 drive or NVMe drive in slots 9-12. Not to mention IDRAC will report all sorts of errors if a non-dell nvme extender is used and the sas3 expander on the backplane will get screwy with dropped drives and all sorts of issues.

I've tried, it's not worth the hassle.

Here's what it looks like: Dell SSD NVMe PCIe Extender Card Kit for R630 GY1TD K9TVP | eBay

And yes, you can use the r630/r730 extenders in either machine (it's the same card but with different p/n's). The cables are a little different but it works fine. If you go for the r630 version be aware that the cable might not work with the r730 (I haven't tried) you might need to change the bracket but it should work. I've used the r730 extender many times in the r630 but with the correct cable.

David

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  14. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

Good to know, i figured it was a long shot, but i was able to get the intel kit for 100 while the dell ones are running over 200ish. I'll put the intel kit up for sale and wait for the dell ones to drop in price since i dont have an immediate need for nvme. I will PM you for a price on your kit.

15. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

100 is a great price - those used to run for 500 a year or two ago

16. marcoi

marcoi Well-Known Member

It's for sale now. Or I may end up getting the server it goes into. Guess we see what happens first lol.