Mistake During Sale of Motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
I recently started selling on this forum...I sold a board to forum member..He had asked me about bent pins.I never had worried about bent pins as board was successfully running dual E2620's for more than 2 months for vsphere setup.So I informed him everything was good.
Now the buyers is annoyed.I sent him picture of the board in my chassis before. He did not ask for any more pictures.We went ahead with the sale.But seems he is more experienced with bent pins than I am.
Only thing I can do at this point is offer refund once the board is returned.
Any help how I should handle the sale of motherboard is useful..I always provide as much information as possible.I dont feel like lying for $200 odd dollars.But this was an honest mistake or may be lack of knowledge..

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
It's not totally clear so can you confirm if you knew there were bent pins when answering the buyer? Either way if it arrived with bent pins and you told him there were none you can either refund him after return of the board or partially refund if you both agree to it and he keeps the board as-is.

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
I was not aware of the bent pins...As I said it was working perfectly fine So I assumed it was fine..Thats my fault I guess.

WeekendWarrior

Apr 2, 2015
An occasional misunderstanding or difference in knowledge or expectations when selling comes with the territory even with good intentions. What I've done in these situations on ebay is I ask the buyer what it would take to make it right in their mind, and let them know that I am willing to take the item back while paying shipping both ways. This does two things - it lets the person know that they have some control over the situation and shows that you're willing to take a small loss to avoid bad feelings (and potentially a bad rep).

Reactions: neo

sergeant72

Nov 27, 2012
Hi,

I'm the "annoyed" buyer :) and would appreciate the advise on how to resolve the situation and what other people would think in the similar case. Returning the board will put me at - ~$60 (living in Canada, was charged import fees of ~$40 plus return shipping). The frustrating part is I did ask about the bent pins. Here is one of the pictures which was provided:

And here are the pictures which i just took (still trying to take a better one as the damage is actually worse then it looks on those pictures):

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I would expect that @acmcool will issue refund, for the missed bent pins and you return the board.

There's really not much to do about DUTY FEE :(

The pins look bent up not sideways or over, so that's probably why they work fine still when you isntall CPU they go flat/normal ???

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Nevermind they are the same motherboard, I noticed the chips missing are actually underneath the retention bar. My bad! - Definitely the same board.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Sorry about that. I realised when I saw the thermal compound in the same spot in both photos (just above the socket) and looked closer at the chips missing I realised they were just hidden under the bar.

As for the bent pins, did the seller ship it with the plastic retainer in the sockets? As when shipping without that the pins can get damaged from g-forces of being shipped, thrown about etc - They are as you well know, very fragile.

Pri

Jul 30, 2014
Sounds like you took all the precautions. Guess it's up to you and the buyer to negotiate.

sergeant72

Nov 27, 2012
acmcool, I appreciate that you are trying to resolve the situation.
Returning the board is not the best option for me - I do have pair of those E5-2630L on the way (hopefully...)
Debating if I should take a risk and attempt to fix it up (I do understand if I do that, return/refund is off the table)

coolrunnings82

Mar 26, 2012
FWIW, it's worth asking Supermicro if they can fix the socket in my opinion. Definitely not a warranty issue but they've been good to me on stuff like that...

Reactions: T_Minus

vanfawx

Jan 4, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
A couple jobs ago, I worked at a shop that was very big into Supermicro gear. We had a stack of boards with bent CPU pins. They were still under warranty, so I started a claim. Supermicro (at least as of 3 years ago) charges $50USD to repair a board with bent CPU pins.

Boards came back like new, with an attached sheet with the tests the board went through after repair with sign offs. Send an email to rma@supermicro.com and open a dialogue. If I dig enough I might actually be able to dig out the RMA claim forms for Supermicro.

sergeant72

Nov 27, 2012
acmcool is cool :)
The situation is resolved, partial refund received.
I will provide the update on attempt to fix up the bent pins.

Jake1978

Jul 27, 2014
Sorry for what is perhaps a stupid question, but I'm wholly unfamiliar with that kind of damage. I've never seen a MB with a socket that looks like that. If CPU's work fine on the MB, then what is the actual issue caused by the "bent" pins?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Well, that's good to know I think I have an older one with bent pins may be worth $50 fix :)

neo

Mar 18, 2015
Sorry for what is perhaps a stupid question, but I'm wholly unfamiliar with that kind of damage. I've never seen a MB with a socket that looks like that. If CPU's work fine on the MB, then what is the actual issue caused by the "bent" pins?
There are ~2000 pins on the CPU. Each pin has a specific purpose. Some are for the PCIe slots, some are for RAM slots, etc... Given what pin(s) are bent, it's related component will not function.

Reactions: T_Minus