Mirrored vdevs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I managed to get 16 450GB SAS drives to be used in a Napp It VM under ESXI 6.0u2
How do you set it up as mirrored vdevs? I was reading older articles which used command line instructions, which I think are necessary anymore?

thank you

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
With Napp-IT you can do it a number of ways:
- use Napp-it web GUI and create a "mirror" and then expand with more "mirror"
- use console in esxi and do it via command line
- write the command and issue it via napp-it web gui

Easiest is the Gui Point-Click Method :)

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
One remark for better understanding.
With ZFS you cannot mirror vdevs. vdevs are always striped in a raid-0 manner.

In order to create a pool, you start with a vdev from mirrored disks, then you can add more vdevs to increase performance and capacity.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Sorry Gea, are u suggesting that I do not do mirrored vdevs? I was leaning towards a raidz3 but was discouraged by experts who say resilver time will be forever

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I think all he's saying is that a pool consisting of more than one mirror (or any vdev) stripes across the vdevs. He was just clarifying to make sure you understand that in your case if you lose any of the mirrored vdevs the pool is lost.

Whether you use striped mirrors or RAIDZ3 depends on your performance needs as well as how valuable having the data available is and how many drives you can afford to lose to redundancy.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
So if speed is not the ultimate concern by data is, RAIDZ3 would be a better choice?
What are the suggestions for configuring these 16 drives?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
It ultimately depends on how you want the pool(s) to be setup.

I suggest this to start:
19.8. ZFS Features and Terminology

Mainly it's good to know that a pool can be made up of 1 or more vdev, and when you add more they're striped. So you can have 2 raidz2 vdev striped just like you could do 2 mirrored vdev, 2 raidz3, etc...

2 raidz2 vdev with 8 disc each would work for you.

It just depends on what you want and how much disk space you can afford to 'lose'.

Reactions: epicurean