Minor airflow obsession

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 30, 2022
Bear in mind that I'm on a limited budget, not many tools and no 3D printer.

I've been thinking about making my own air guides/shrouds.

I note from video reviews of various servers that some shrouds are made of thin plastic. Like you can do with paper/card, some look to be of score-and-bend construction. OK for a straight through air flow.

I've got a fairly fierce heatgun. I could use a thermoplastic and a former. I'd use wood as a former - because it's easy to machine and very cheap. Rectilinear with bends would be pretty easy.

Thing is, I lack the knowledge to pick the right material for either.

Jun 30, 2022
Repurposed Dell T605 chassis
Re-use server class fans
supermicro x10slh-n6-st031 mobo
Tower cooler for Xeon with 120mm fan
Extra 120mm fan to push air over eight 2.5" 10K rpm SAS drives in four 3.5" bays with adapters
Three 40mm 3 pin fans on the ethernet chips.

Plans to add another eight 2.5" 5400 rpm drives in two and a bit 5.25" bays and single 3.5" bay.
Adapters originally meant for sticking 3.5" FDD in 5.25" bay.
I stick mesh over the hole.
Mount couple of 40mm fans at the front.

Goals are make the thing quiet enough to live in home office and not suck too much cat fluff into the guts of the machine.

CyklonDX

Nov 8, 2022
so don't use paper, or any material thats going to be affected in temps of 85'C

PVC plastic sheets are top use, as it won't deform like PETG ones (85'C is the softening temp for PETG)
PETG look nicer, and most likely easier to work with, but if you think your heat is going to get anywhere close to 85'C or above stay away.

Jun 30, 2022
My heatgun will do 300C.

Side project is micro-controller based fan control but that can wait and might be unnecessary if I get the physical stuff right.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we did it for thoose pfsense appliance (basicly supermicro) servers, they dont come with fans for NIC, since they sell NICs with fans... but we wanted to use our nics, for rackmount servers, that chassis comes with 40mm fans, and mounts as option from supermicro, so bought thoose, and.. some cardboard, TADA, always supercool NIC's :D

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Hey, you were the first to mention "obsessions"! ;) There's always another rabbit hole to dive down.

Many manufacturers do run a bit of fluid modelling for airflow design, of which shrouds is a component. And it makes a difference -- many tower workstations can handle hot CPUs/GPUs while still being office-quiet. Noise is just not a big design criterion for rackmount servers.

Jun 30, 2022
I am tempted to buy smoke making sticks/pellets for airflow visualisation. Whilst none of my machines have clear side panels, sure I would be able to bodge something.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I am tempted to buy smoke making sticks/pellets for airflow visualisation. Whilst none of my machines have clear side panels, sure I would be able to bodge something.
Incense sticks work too and you get the added benefit of making the room smell nice.

Reactions: ipkpjersi