Minio object storage - have you used it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
I'm looking at Minio for high-durability, high-availability object storage. It seems you can easily distribute it across multiple storage servers and have erasure coding. It looks like it might be easier to set up than Ceph or Swift. It's pretty new (especially the distributed part), but from the founder of Gluster. Has anyone used Minio? Any thoughts relative to other object storage solutions? Thanks.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
There seems to be a couple out there, Minio and Scality. Minio has built in EC but Scality relies on underlying raid for protection. There is the EMC ECS offering that is free with community support but needs 4 nodes to get into the EC and data protection features.

I am trying out Minio right now as a poc for some backup software I want to run. At my day job I am running a poc of the ECS for our application devops to switch from cifs protocol inefficiencies dealing with larger # of files.

Reactions: Logan

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think we had a small cluster in the DemoEval lab. I remember helping to set that up. S3 compatible API IIRC.

JDM

Jun 25, 2016
I read up on this a few months ago, and took a another look here today. They've tweaked some of the documentation related to scaling (in an encouraging way), but I remember scaling being what worried me the most when I read about it initially. I'm also planning on doing a test install of it in virtual machine space and will write back on my thoughts after that's done, and look forward to what others hopefully report back in this thread. Probably just due to the newness of the product, and the fact that Ceph has kind of had time to establish itself in the object space, I just haven't seen anyone out there running this at multi-petabyte scale yet (or if they are, they aren't writing about it anywhere I can find).

Reactions: Logan

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Written in Go!
Made for the CF folks it sounds like. Looks interesting for sure.