Mining Shitshow

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
It has been requested by a few poeple that I share some pics from my mining shitshow. Full disclosure this space is a complete disaster and makes me cringe when I see it. That being said I put all this together for it to make money not look good, and it has made the money. All the rigs are running smOS and mining ZEC or XMR based on the card architecture. I also have a handful of blades mining XMR.

Blades are M620's running 2660v1 and 8gb of mem each. They are running esxi 6.5 each with a mining VM
My miners consist of

40x RX470's
2x Rx480's
12x gtx1070
8x gtx1080

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VEp7ZZCxDtkBtegg2

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Can this get moved to the DIY builds section? Looks good! I'd love to read your lessons learned.

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
crazy stuff but i love it. :D
Thanks for the kind words.

Good Photos, real life, we are not in the movies. How many KwH does this consume..
My monthly consumption at the house has been just a hair under 9500KwH

Can this get moved to the DIY builds section? Looks good! I'd love to read your lessons learned.
Yeah you are right, I put this in the wrong section. I saw the DIY and misplaced it.

I have learned a few things along the way. The biggest definitely being to never underestimate the heat output of this amount of hardware. It adds up much faster than you would think before you start getting into it. Airflow strategy before you even start is MUST, my airflow strategy is a trainwreck and I have not had to to address it. Due to that my house is consistently above 80F even with the AC running 24/7

Reactions: MiniKnight

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Ok, that's just insane...well maybe not, ok just a little bit....ok a lot....no...sod it, it's insane, but I like it :D:p

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
So what's the Wife think?
My wife thinks I am nuts...but she has always know that sooo... She hasnt minded the whole venture much other than the heat. She is pregnant so a 90F house is not a good time.

Man you've gotta get a solution for the heat!
That I do. I have some more ideas just haven't had the time to get the work done. It has started cooling off for the year so it is now heating my house.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I am always jealous of people who have enough room to have project space at home.

Reactions: William

William

May 7, 2015
Agreed... I used to have a huge amount of space, a huge family room, but now after we moved I am stuck in a small bedroom :(

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
We bought a house midway through the year and the best part if I have a full 900 sqft of basement for projects/lair.
That is about the is situation I am in for the moment wife and I bought a house that is large enough that we dont need the space for just the two of us. So the whole basement is mine for the time being. The last family finished it but did a terrible job so I gutted most of it and do whatever I want down there.

Last edited:

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Jeez that's a lot of coin...

In your rigs. How much do you guys make after paying the power bills?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
Jeez that's a lot of coin...

In your rigs. How much do you guys make after paying the power bills?
It depends, 4 months ago it was making 3-5K a month after power. These days my hardware brings in ~$1500 a month after power

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
That's still pretty good ROI on ~$30K (guessing) of hardware. Are you mining your own blocks or are you with a pool?

modder man

Jan 19, 2015
That's still pretty good ROI on ~$30K (guessing) of hardware. Are you mining your own blocks or are you with a pool?

I have 19K in hardware including all the GPU mining hardware as well as blades and 64TB of disk i bought for burstcoin mining