Mining Cards without video outputs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Yep definitely lower - I'm getting 3.95 sol using 64w with my 1060 in my deeplearning rig using the forums zec nvidia docker image on ubuntu

Temp: GPU0: 48C
GPU0: 253 Sol/s
Total speed: 253 Sol/s
+-----+-------------+--------------+
| GPU | Power usage | Efficiency |
| 0 | 64W | 3.95 Sol/W |

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Patrick, you should be able to get those down in the 80-85w range without losing much or any hash.
That seems to be about the sweet spot. My 1060 6gb cards with Nvidia Inspector settings of +250mhz mem, 70% power, 65C temp target results in:
290 Sols
59C temps
85w power draw (software reported)
3.3 Sols/w

I also keep the fan pegged at 60% and it's not offensive sitting 4 feet away from me inside a case.

Running flat out the same card gets 320 sols @ 120w.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What are you guys using for mem/ clock/ power limit speeds?

I did push these a bit just to get a higher hashrate.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
Update: 60% power, +40GPU/+260mem results in 270 sols @ 70w (3.96 sols/w). I'm turning mine back up though because I prefer making more money than squeezing efficiency out.

Aside: I acquired a GTX 980 which gets 330 sols @ 185w. 1060 beats the pants off of it efficiency wise, but I got it for a good price ($240 Craigslist find), so it's going in the hopper anyway.

@garetjax Are you using Ubuntu server or desktop edition? I'm tearing my hair out trying to get nvidia-settings working on server.

Reactions: pgh5278 and Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Joel that is a common issue. Happen to know what that translates to in memory clock (e.g. not just the offset)?

Using ethOS was $40 and a fairly annoying learning curve, but it is working now and has some nice features. One is that you can use nvidia-settings.

Joel

Jan 30, 2015
I've heard of ethOS but been averse to it (charging money for something based on 96% FOSS software). Can it scale well?

I'm looking into Ubuntu MAAS and Puppet/Chef right now because I'm trying to figure out how to put a bunch of machines in the data center and if I need to change/fix something down the road I want to do it once instead of 8+ times.

@Marsh I haven't tried that particular guide, but I've been working on similar lines (dummy X server) with no success. I'm considering wiping everything and starting fresh with what you just posted. Once I get the image as I like it I'll replicate.

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I screw up the http url link formatting.
Click on the URL link, it have a step by step of setting up Nvidia mining rig guide.

garetjax

Nov 26, 2017
Update: 60% power, +40GPU/+260mem results in 270 sols @ 70w (3.96 sols/w). I'm turning mine back up though because I prefer making more money than squeezing efficiency out.

Aside: I acquired a GTX 980 which gets 330 sols @ 185w. 1060 beats the pants off of it efficiency wise, but I got it for a good price ($240 Craigslist find), so it's going in the hopper anyway.

@garetjax Are you using Ubuntu server or desktop edition? I'm tearing my hair out trying to get nvidia-settings working on server.
Joel - I'm using server 16.04. I use a script to set my fans and power.

I use one command to up the mem and one to lower the power to 65%

garetjax@ubuntu:~$ cat startfancontrol.sh
nvidia-xconfig --enable-all-gpus --allow-empty-initial-configuration --cool-bits=28
X :2 &
sleep 10
export DISPLAY=:2
#set GPU 0..5 fan to 100%. (This assumes six GPUs)

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUMemoryTransferRateOffset[3]=1500

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1 -a [fan-0]/GPUTargetFanSpeed=100
sleep 3
nvidia-smi -pl 65
sudo killall Xorg

Reactions: Joel and Marsh

dwright1542

Dec 26, 2015
I've heard of ethOS but been averse to it (charging money for something based on 96% FOSS software). Can it scale well?

I'm looking into Ubuntu MAAS and Puppet/Chef right now because I'm trying to figure out how to put a bunch of machines in the data center and if I need to change/fix something down the road I want to do it once instead of 8+ times.

@Marsh I haven't tried that particular guide, but I've been working on similar lines (dummy X server) with no success. I'm considering wiping everything and starting fresh with what you just posted. Once I get the image as I like it I'll replicate.
I use it. Scale how?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I normally use Ansible to provision Ubuntu servers.

But for mining server, it is really easy.

I use PXE boot server to do network installation, at the end of pre-seed file, It called my own custom bootstrap.sh to perform system configuration. Then reboot, it would run my miner-setupsystem.sh

In miner-setupsystem.sh
Install dependencies for running xmr or xmrig or other miner program.
setup hugepages , install display drivers .... etc... for mining
copy various miner binary files , config to miners bin directory.
add shell command to start various miner program depends on config file

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
The main issue I have with P106 is the resale value. Crypto crashes, they are valueless. At least with 1060's, there's some return. In fact, I assumed only a 25% resale value when calculating, and it significantly reduced ROI.

The way its looking, check prices and availability lately on video cards?, it's not looking like crypto will crash anytime soon.

I payed $283 each for my 6 P106-100 mining cards, thats including shipping, I could sell them on ebay and make an easy $100 more each than I payed for them.

Anything above a Rx560 or GTX 1050 is HARD to get.

Used 1080 Ti's are going for $850 each............$100 more than they were new a few weeks ago.

The demand is way more than the supply.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
What is the point of these "mining" cards anyway? As far as I can tell, all you get is a shorter warranty and limited resale options thanks to missing video outputs.

Reactions: Joel

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
In theory they are cheaper and possibly have a cooling solution designed for the density that is used. In this case they are packaged in a way that is very convenient for building a mining rig. Realistically if mining becomes unprofitable anything lower than a 1070 will be worthless anyway because there will be sooo many 1070 and better on the market for so cheap.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
That is part of why I do not see a real benefit. They are not really cheaper and the reviews I saw so far indicate that they neither have better cooling nor higher performance than standard graphics cards. And as soon as they are no longer useful for mining they are basically scrap.
A graphics card with a video output could still be sold to gamers or normal users. Of course you won't make a huge profit from reselling them when every miner on the planet does the same, but even 1/3 of the original price would be better than nothing.