Minimum RAM for dual CPU system?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tanders12

Apr 27, 2016
I have a S2600CP on the way from Natex. Once it arrives I should have everything for my dual 2670 build, except for the 32GB of memory, which is on its way from Hong Kong, and I expect will take quite a bit longer to arrive.

I'm thinking about buying a couple sticks of dirt cheap 1GB ECC modules on ebay[0] so I can at least test the motherboard and CPUs before the RAM gets here. I've read that the RAM is split between the CPUs. Does this mean I need 2 sticks (one for each CPU) in order for it to work? Sorry, this is my first dual system so I'm quite ignorant.

[0] ddr3 server memory | eBay

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I guess it depends what your plans are and how worried you are every ram slot will work, and work with all others populated. I like to fill every slot when testing, at once.

I actually START filling every slot because more times than not they all work, if they don't then I go down to 1x Stick and work my way up to find the issue. I urge you to make sure every pin is clean and jiggle when installing if doing this method as often the 'install' isthe issue with ram and requires re-seating and/or pin wipe.

Reactions: Sergio

Venturi

Apr 22, 2016
For the future if you add more ram:

For bandwidth you're better having all slots filled

However, for bandwidth they should also be same type and size