Mini/Mid Tower Chassis Recommendation: 16 x 2.5" SATA/SAS2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
@TLN @Marsh I was not aware that server pull U.2 drives were that cheap. This certainly changes things and opens up a new avenue. My initial thought was to use a big array of SATA SSD to increase IOPS and usable capacity. If I were to use U.2 drives for around the same price as SATA SSDs I would be able to can the requirement for a massive amount of hotswap bays. I would get more IOPS and less complication due to having less drives. With less drives hotswap becomes less of a pressing issue since it's easy enough to service a few drives compared to 16.

Using U.2 drives would change some parts of the calculus though, mainly the platform I was intending to use. I had initially planned to use a Ryzen 3950X on one of ASRock's upcoming X570 server motherboards. I may end up going with a TR or Epyc platform instead if using U.2. I will need to do a bit of research on the bits.

This build will be for ESXi. I want to stay away from fiber SAN or iSCSI if possible. It will just be local storage on the machine. The VMs themselves are not mission critical -- it's mainly for prototyping stuff. U.2 drives are overkill for the read/write requirements I need (I only need about 500-1,250 MB/s sequential storage and 10G networking), but if they are the same price for the same aggregate capacity, and simplify things I'd go with that.

@zer0sum I appreciate your suggestion! I was one of those people who were eagerly waiting for the CS381, then to be completely underwhelmed. I want to have some love for Silverstone as I used their chassis quite a bit back in the day for HTPC builds, but it seems their design decisions are still questionable to this day (I cringe a bit thinking of the custom ducts I had to build then for my old Silverstone builds a decade back).

TLN

Feb 26, 2016
@TLN @Marsh I was not aware that server pull U.2 drives were that cheap. This certainly changes things and opens up a new avenue. My initial thought was to use a big array of SATA SSD to increase IOPS and usable capacity. If I were to use U.2 drives for around the same price as SATA SSDs I would be able to can the requirement for a massive amount of hotswap bays. I would get more IOPS and less complication due to having less drives. With less drives hotswap becomes less of a pressing issue since it's easy enough to service a few drives compared to 16.
Well I'm not talking about U.2 drive but PCIe drive.
Either mine is rated up to 1M IOPS and up to 5600MBPS. I'm too lazy to check IOPS, but crystalmark showed around 5500MBPS, so specs seems to be true. I don't really need that performance, but performance and endurance never hurts right?
The only question for you will be how critical this data is (IMHO), and if you need multiple drives for redundancy, or you're ok with single fast SSD and backups somewhere.

I was really excited about silverstone case, way lees right now. Might still get it, if I see it on sale.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
@zer0sum Which models of motherboard especially, and also PSU's, did you choose?
I'm still on old school gear because it's just so cheap :)
- X9SRL-F
- E5-1660 v2 or E5-2643 v2
- 8 x 32GB DDR3 at $25 each :)
- IBM M1215 HBA's
- EVGA or Corsair PSU's

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
Ok, so after making a quick run on the numbers, it probably makes more sense to go with U.2/PCIe SSDs. This would likely exclude any X570 server motherboard and Ryzen 3000. With TR, I should be able to run 5 x PCIe x8 SSDs, or using two quad bifurcation cards, 8 x U.2 drives.

In any case this build is planned for the end of the year. I'd like to see what kind of X570 or TR 3rd gen boards ASRock will come out with. The X399D8A-2T is available now, but it is about $100-150 more than it should be. I'm not pressed for time so I'm willing to wait a bit.