mini Azure Stack

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Build’s Name: Mini Azure Stack
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Windows Server 2016
CPU: Xeon D-1587
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SDV-7TP8F
Chassis: Supermicro CSE-E300
Drives: SAMSUNG SM841 512GB, SAMSUNG PM953 960GB, 3x Plextor M5M 512GB
RAM: 4x 32GB Hynix PC4-2133P 2Rx4
Add-in Cards: Addonics AD4MSPX2-A Quad PCIe mSATA Adapter
Power Supply: DELL customized 216W Power Brick (12V18A)
Other Bits:

Usage Profile: Azure Stack one-node PoC

Other information…
I just ordered an Intel 910 800GB PCIe SSD to replace above Plextor M5M mSATA drives and Addonics AD4MSPX2-A Quad PCIe mSATA Adapter. Intel 910 800GB includes 4 independant 200GB HGST SSD400M SAS SSDs, which also meets the requirements but provide the better performance and reliability.

maze

Apr 27, 2013
That little fella packs a punch! - Nice setup

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts as you move a long in the project

msvirtualguy

Jan 23, 2013
msvirtualguy.com
The more I see these things in the wild, the more I want'em cause I can still retain the SFF Home Lab that I promised the Wife....lol. it would be cool if you could do a video walkthrough on Azure Stack on this....

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Welcome @larryexchange

Your build looks great, I want to build a similar lab like yours to play with Azure stack per-release software.

After reading this ,
Azure Stack: Squeezing the Little Guy
Microsoft has recently announced that its much anticipated Azure Stack will not be available to be downloaded on whitebox servers. Individuals and organizations wishing to use Azure Stack will have to purchase a pre-qualified cluster. This has caused some outrage amongst fans, but what really is the impact of this decision?

Azure Stack: Squeezing the Little Guy -- Virtualization Review

Do you have insight on the future of Azure stack for homelab usage ?

Reactions: Patrick

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Welcome @larryexchange

Your build looks great, I want to build a similar lab like yours to play with Azure stack per-release software.

After reading this ,
Azure Stack: Squeezing the Little Guy
Microsoft has recently announced that its much anticipated Azure Stack will not be available to be downloaded on whitebox servers. Individuals and organizations wishing to use Azure Stack will have to purchase a pre-qualified cluster. This has caused some outrage amongst fans, but what really is the impact of this decision?

Azure Stack: Squeezing the Little Guy -- Virtualization Review

Do you have insight on the future of Azure stack for homelab usage ?
Multi-node Azure Stack will be only available as an integrated system and doesn't support DIY. But one-node (a.k.a. PoC) supports deploying on any hardware which meet the minimum requirements.

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Reactions: Marsh

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
I don't want to be dense here, but I would have liked to have seen more on how to get the vhdx and everything. Hardware is the easy part.

Another point I'd like to hear is how easy it is to turn single node Azure stack into multi node. Can you move components and services around afterward?

I like the briefcase proof of concept but I'd rather build using a bigger box.

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
Shameless plug but as @PigLover mentions you can use a Supermicro SNK-C0057A4L as a direct replacement.

Here is our guide to replacing the Xeon D heatsink on Supermicro motherboards. You could also get a copper cooler and install:
Thanks, @Patrick and @PigLover ! Per your suggestion, I managed to replace heatsink.
12.jpg

I also run a stability test and the CPU temperature keep at 78C during the test. The speed of those three front fans are around 10K, CPU Fan speed is 4700. The power consumption was 129W.
11.jpg

Later on I disabled the SAS2 controller and I350 NIC, the power consumption was around 118W in the test. I only stressed CPU and memory in both cases.

If I had the second chance, I would probably put X10SDV-12C-TLN4F-O in the chassis. I assume it's still fit although it's mini ITX instead of Flex ATX?

larryexchange

Dec 27, 2016
I don't want to be dense here, but I would have liked to have seen more on how to get the vhdx and everything. Hardware is the easy part.

Another point I'd like to hear is how easy it is to turn single node Azure stack into multi node. Can you move components and services around afterward?

I like the briefcase proof of concept but I'd rather build using a bigger box.
You may follow the steps in the "Prepare the deployment machine" to boot the VHD. The link below provide more information regarding VHD native boot.
Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot

Unfortunately you cannot scale out from one-node to multi-node coz multi-node only available thru integrated system.