Mikrotik or Unifi all the way?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
I am hoping to get some input on how my home network should be amended, if at all. With Black Friday coming up, there's a chance to get nice discounts on device replacements.

My current setup looks like this:

[Internet] - 500/50 Mbit/s cable - [Edgerouter Lite] - 1GbE - [Unifi 16-XG] - 10Gbit/s - [Mikrotik CRS-226] - 1Gbit/s - [2x Unifi AP-AC LR + most devices throughout the house, including a couple of Netgear and Edgerouter switches]

I currently have 3 VLANs with some routing between them taking place at the Edgerouter Lite.

Most devices (Roku, Steam link, office PC etc) are connected to the Mikrotik via 1Gbit/s cat6 cables. So far only the server in the basement (and the Mikrotik) is connected to the Unifi 16-XG via 10 Gbit/s fiber, but I plan on replacing most of the copper with fiber over the next few months. I will only get 10Gbit/s speed to my office PC, but am perfectly happy to run 1Gbit/s over fiber for other devices by deploying smaller switches with mixed copper and fiber.

I originally thought it would be a good idea to have everything Unifi instead of relying on three brands for my core network (Unifi, Edgerouter and Mikrotik). In that case, I'd get a Unifi USG as replacement for the ERL, and a Unifi switch to replace the Mikrotik. That should make configuring the network really simple, and I'd benefit from all the bells and whistles in the Unifi interface. However, my Unifi server is a VM on my main server in the basement. I am worried that this may be a vulnerable solution, and if I e.g. were to misconfigure the network so that the server or one of the intermittent switches loses connection, then fixing the network will be a big hassle. If a Mikrotik device were to be misconfigured, then I can simply connect a laptop to a working port and fix it from there, but I am not sure how this works when there's a centralised configuration tool sitting on a VM on my server...?

A nice alternative to a Unifi-only solution might be to keep the Unifi APs, but replace the Unifi 16-XG with a Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM (and perhaps even replace the CRS-226 with a CSS-326 since I only really need it to be a switch). If the CRS317 is powerful enough, if would be tempting to use it to replace the ERL as well so that my core network consists of only one router and one switch, and I only need to relate to two brands (Mikrotik + Unifi APs) for my core network.

Does anyone have any input to share? I guess the main pressure points are:
- Is fixing a broken network setup consisting of Unifi devices much more effort compared to fixing a network consisting of mostly stand-alone units?
- How does the Mikrotik CRS317 compare to the Edgerouter Lite wrt. routing performance?
- Is having everything Unifi a good thing, or will I lose functionality compared to basing my network on Mikrotik devices?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I don't think you take much risk with the Unifi controller as you describe. If the controller dies everything runs just fine - in fact, the switches/routers/APs can even power-cycle and restart and they will come back up with their prior config. You only need the controller in order to (a) monitor it, (b) make changes to the config or (c) provide a limited number of special services like their Active Portal wireless authentication. In all other cases the Unifi Routers/Switches/APs are pretty much stand alone devices.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original message: My worry is not that the server/Unifi controller should fail since I know that all the Unifi devices work perfectly well without it. But if I were to somehow misconfigure the network so that the server loses connection with one or more of the devices (e.g. by removing a VLAN from a trunk), then how do I fix it? The server has lost its connection to the unit and can therefore not update its configuration. Or...?

K D

Dec 24, 2016
You can take a backup of the controller config and in the event of a blow up, restore it. I use a Unifi cloud key and it is set up to save a backup of the configuration everyday for 365 days. In the last when I screwed up something I just reset the cloud key and restored a known good configuration. Takes about 10 mins.

Note : I have 4 APS, and about 6 switches, USG and cloudkey. Everything runs flawlessly and only time I've ever had to reboot was during firmware upgrades.

nkw

Aug 28, 2017
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original message: My worry is not that the server/Unifi controller should fail since I know that all the Unifi devices work perfectly well without it. But if I were to somehow misconfigure the network so that the server loses connection with one or more of the devices (e.g. by removing a VLAN from a trunk), then how do I fix it? The server has lost its connection to the unit and can therefore not update its configuration. Or...?
These issues are usually addressed in the real world by a switched power port, the serial console port, and a serial to IP gateway on a separate management network, or alternatively with remote hands jabbing a paperclip into a reset button.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I did this once where I configured my uplink incorrectly on a switch and couldn’t reach it any longer.

I just ended up moving the uplink connection to a switchport that had the default vlan configured and was able to correct my error and move the uplink back to the desired port.

Worst case scenario you reset the switch, adopt, re-provision the config.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apnar

Mar 5, 2011
I️ went through this a lot when I️ was trying to get VLANing working between some different vendors. Depending on the UniFi model some have serial console still and you can manually tweak settings to get things back going (just remember those changes get wiped on next provisioning). I️ also physically reset them a few times and readded them.

In general though I️ went all UniFi about a year ago and have been very happy with it. Nice to use central console for day to day stuff. I️ also run my controller on a VM, but am considering a cloud key just to keep the controller separated and up while I’m doing odd things with my VM host.

Sounds like you’re looking to go heavily 10g. Depending on your needs you may be interested in a new UniFi USG in beta, if I️ recall correctly it has 8 10g SFP+ ports.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
Thanks for the advice, everyone :) It seems as if my worries were mostly unwarranted. Since noone has even hinted that I may be better off with a Mikrotik setup, I guess I'll just transition to Unifi, beginning with the USG. I may keep my Mikrotik for a while as my primary 1Gbit/s switch, though, since it has 10Gbit uplink (the 48 port Unifi is a bit overkill for my use).

@apnar : The 10Gbit/s USG router sure does look nice, but too pricey for my needs. I'll manage just fine with 10Gbit/s intra-VLAN switching in the 16 XG for now.