MikroTik CSS326-24G-2S+RM VLAN Question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
I need to build a small colo 1/4 cab and have a tight space, power and overall budget. It's like gaining 10lbs and everything's tight all around.

I read the review on STH and that was helpful Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM Review Cheap 24x 1GbE 2x 10GbE

Here's my quandary. I want to use say 4 ports on a VLAN that is effectively WAN in port 0 then have 3 ports so I can use like pfSense as a HA firewall when I reboot and a third port for an IPMI-only network.

I then want to have ports 4-12 as IPMI management ports on their own VLAN

Finally, I want to have ports 13-23 and the 10g ports as general LAN ports. The 10g ports will uplink to a CRS317.

I know inter-VLAN blows on this switch since it doesn't have the cpu power for it. But will doing 3 separate VLANs with no routing be too much for the unit? Or is it just the routing that's an issue and setting 3 VLANs that I don't want to cross is not a problem?

aero

Apr 27, 2016
Multiple vlans, so long as you're not routing between them on the CSS, should be fine. Handled by asic, not cpu.

Reactions: Patrick