MikroTik CRS326-24S+2Q+RM Review Insane Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I went from "DAMN I WANT THIS!" to when I heard the switch running "DAMN THIS IS LOUDER THAN THE BROCADE!"

Why am I yelling? I had to over the sound this sucker makes.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I have a pair of 317's in our rack at work as redundant storage switches, had this been available when we ordered those it would have been a no contest upgrade to these plus a pair of 40gb cards in the storage servers

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I went from "DAMN I WANT THIS!" to when I heard the switch running "DAMN THIS IS LOUDER THAN THE BROCADE!"

Why am I yelling? I had to over the sound this sucker makes.
I think the video is a bit louder than in real life. Nice mic and 3 ft away made it sound loud but you can still hear it on the lavalier mic I had on around that part of the video. Too loud to be next to you while working but fine to put in a rack, basement, equipment closet, or something with some drywall between you and the switch.

Then again, that was being done when the switch uses around 14.6W at idle, not when it was loaded with modules passing traffic.

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
Excluding price, how would this unit compare to the Cisco SX550X-24F? I'm thinking of adding either one of these at the top of my rack. I currently have a mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+EM doing my routing and switching and three Cisco switches (interconnected via sfp+) functioning as layer 1. This is in a home environment with a large control4 automation setup. Have 4 ruckus r710 unleashed as APs. Does it make sense to offload the switching from the mikrotik router? The router also handles a VPN to a different non-dmca country for downloading.
My automation installers have already told me this is way past their expertise and I'd be on my own troubleshooting.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
Excluding price, how would this unit compare to the Cisco SX550X-24F? I'm thinking of adding either one of these at the top of my rack. I currently have a mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+EM doing my routing and switching and three Cisco switches (interconnected via sfp+) functioning as layer 1. This is in a home environment with a large control4 automation setup. Have 4 ruckus r710 unleashed as APs. Does it make sense to offload the switching from the mikrotik router? The router also handles a VPN to a different non-dmca country for downloading.
My automation installers have already told me this is way past their expertise and I'd be on my own troubleshooting.
The 24F doesn't have 40gb which this does, past that I've been replacing SG and SX series cisco switches with mirotik equivalents without much issue, and since you're already using a CCR1036 I don't see any issue there. I'm using a CRS328-24P-4S+RM alongside Ubiquiti switches so I can't speak to the ruckus. As far as offloading switching from the router were you planning to move to a router on a stick topology with the 326 in the core? do you have any vlans setup?

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
I think the video is a bit louder than in real life. Nice mic and 3 ft away made it sound loud but you can still hear it on the lavalier mic I had on around that part of the video. Too loud to be next to you while working but fine to put in a rack, basement, equipment closet, or something with some drywall between you and the switch.

Then again, that was being done when the switch uses around 14.6W at idle, not when it was loaded with modules passing traffic.
I was hoping for something to replace my brocade but quieter. Sadly mine is loaded up with modules this thing would scream like a hurricane.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
One thing I would love to see is this switch with a 3D printed airflow guide over the heatsink and Noctua fans. Even with the current fan setup, airflow is not well ducted.

Churchill

Admiral
Jan 6, 2016
One thing I would love to see is this switch with a 3D printed airflow guide over the heatsink and Noctua fans. Even with the current fan setup, airflow is not well ducted.
You could always go over to /r/3dprinting in reddit and make a request for one, see who can come up with one for a give away of a Thing (maybe not this switch, something else). Traffic generator!

ERDrPC

Aug 14, 2012
The 24F doesn't have 40gb which this does, past that I've been replacing SG and SX series cisco switches with mirotik equivalents without much issue, and since you're already using a CCR1036 I don't see any issue there. I'm using a CRS328-24P-4S+RM alongside Ubiquiti switches so I can't speak to the ruckus. As far as offloading switching from the router were you planning to move to a router on a stick topology with the 326 in the core? do you have any vlans setup?
I was thinking about getting into vlans. The mikrotik ccr would still route and handle the VPN, the crs or Cisco would handle the 10G sfp+ switching between switches.

Deslok

Jul 15, 2015
deslok.dyndns.org
I was thinking about getting into vlans. The mikrotik ccr would still route and handle the VPN, the crs or Cisco would handle the 10G sfp+ switching between switches.
The CRS would handle that fine, there's other options as well(CRS309/317) if you're staying stictly 10gig(I have 317's and they're silent but only 16 port)