Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

M3kk

May 19, 2017
Hey.

Someone with SwOS, 2.8 can try a Reboot from System tab? It is working? For me showing Rebooting, but the switch doesnt reboot (uptime continue raising). Thank you.

luckylinux

Mar 18, 2012
I thought I'd share my experience with this switch.

I connected 2 rooms in my flat over existing ~20-30m CAT 5e (UTP I think) using 2 x Mikrotik S+RJ10 (1 on each end). I was able to manage a link between the switches at 1gbps, 2.5gbps and 5.0gbps. It would be very unstable and not usable at all at 10gbps though. More manual configuration that I thought was required. Tested using a Mellanox ConnectX-2 EN on each end running Debian GNU/Linux and achieved ~4.7gbps. I didn't tune Windows yet (performance was < 2gbps). See here for the whole description.

I now would have to link two of these switches in another room. I tried with 5m DAC cables but it's just a tad too short. I'm not sure about using a Cisco 10m DAC to connect these together (SFP-H10GB-ACU) because of the distance being too much for DAC I think. So could I just use a fiber from fs.com like this one:
- 2 x Cisco transceiver (SFP-10G-SR) @ 16 USD/each
- 1 x 15m OM3 fiber (OM3-LC-LC-DX-FS-15M-PVC) @ 8 USD
- or 1 x 15m OM4 fiber (OM4-LC-LC-DX-FS-15M-PVC) @ 11 USD

Will this work between two of these switches? Is it worth using OM4 patch cable for such short distance though? I thought OM4 fiber is what is required for QSFP+ (40/100gbe) transceivers but those are 4 - 12 fibers anyway (even though they sell LC fibers also at OM4). Am I missing something?

mattaw

Jul 30, 2018
I have not tested it under full load yet. Below 40°C the switch is completely silent...
The temperature tresholds could be a little higher. Need to check if the values can be adjusted.
Do be careful, with no active airflow hotspots can develop around specific areas of the system.

The temperature sensing is probably only in a couple of spots. That is likely why they trigger fans at 40 to be safe.

If you feel up to finding powered header swap a fan out for a low rpm silent always on fan before tweaking temps.

Last edited:

Aysberg

Nov 3, 2018
I got my CRS317-1G-16S+RM (firmware 6.41 -> 6.43.4) two days ago and so far it's doing it's job. I am using it as a simple switch, to connect three workstations with my storage server. I am using these transceivers in both the switch and my Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX311A cards without problems.

Two things, which I noticed. Yesterday the switch was running without the fans. Now, after around 38h, the fans are turning on every few minutes, because the CPU reaches 40 C. I think I will swap those for Noctuas, because with 3800 RPM they are quite noticeable. Is this high temperature related to using RouterOS, should SwitchOS run colder. See the next point.

While using RouterOS I am able to reach 9.61 Gbits/sec with iperf3. Switching to SwitchOS the speed drops to 6.66 Gbits/sec. Had the idea SwitchOS should be the faster one?

Are there any settings in the switch or W10 to speed things up. Is it useful to change the MTU to something in the 9000 range and using jumbo frames of the same size?

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
Did you enable hardware offloading in routerOS? It is not on by default if memory serves well. Haven't tested throughput yet, but theoretically it should lower the load on the CPU.
No idea about SwitchOS, I have steered clear from SwitchOS based on the multiple negative reports.

likelinus

Mar 9, 2016
I'm looking to add a CRS317-1G-16S+RM to my network and had a quick question about the setup. Basically what I'm looking to do is add 10GbE to several of my servers and workstation in my rack. Then I'd like to connect the switch to either my Cisco SG300-28 or another Ethernet port on my pfsense machine. Is the ETH/Boot 1GbE port the one I would use to connect to either of those so it can reach other machines and the internet? Wasn't sure if it was better to plug into the pfsense or Cisco for quicker/easier machine to machine communication.

IS the CRS317 still the best option over the Unifi option? Or any other recommendations?

Alternatively, can you connect SFP+ to one of the SFP ports on the Cisco? This is just out of curiosity about the backwards compatibility.

zanechua

May 6, 2016
I'm looking to add a CRS317-1G-16S+RM to my network and had a quick question about the setup. Basically what I'm looking to do is add 10GbE to several of my servers and workstation in my rack. Then I'd like to connect the switch to either my Cisco SG300-28 or another Ethernet port on my pfsense machine. Is the ETH/Boot 1GbE port the one I would use to connect to either of those so it can reach other machines and the internet? Wasn't sure if it was better to plug into the pfsense or Cisco for quicker/easier machine to machine communication.

IS the CRS317 still the best option over the Unifi option? Or any other recommendations?

Alternatively, can you connect SFP+ to one of the SFP ports on the Cisco? This is just out of curiosity about the backwards compatibility.
I actually have a CRS317 and a SG300-28MPP switch. Yes the ETH1 port is the one that you use to connect both switches together assuming the SG300-28 is the main switch.

Not sure if it's the best switch but it fits my budget. The other switch that i was looking at for another network setup was the CRS328-24P-4S+RM. That would probably be ideal if you wanna replace and have some 10gigabit ports also.

I haven't tested the SFP to SFP ports to connect them but I don't see why they shouldn't work. I can try a Direct SFP cable tonight.

likelinus

Mar 9, 2016
Thanks for the quick response. My Cisco SG300-28 is the primary switch after my pfsense firewall. My only concern about the switch you recommended is that it has only 4 sfp+. I'm currently at 4 and i need room to grow :)

mha42

Mar 4, 2019
I am having link issues with 1Gbase-T SFPs from 3COM. They are identified as following in the switch;

AVAGO ABCU-5700RZ-3C1
Agilent QBCU-5799R

Branded 3Com 3CSFP93 on the label.

SFPs are identified but cannot negotiate link either with the Auto negotiation enaabled or disabled. Interestingly enough while moving the RJ45 cable around it would sometimes (maybe 1/10 times) negotiate a link and be enabled. Pulling the cable and re-inserting it would however not bring it back up.

Switch booted into SwOS.

I am currently looking to trade these SFPs with potential friends as I don't want to spend a huge budget buying new hardware for the purpose. Lets hope I can find something which works.

On the bright side I can confirm that Cisco FET-10G-REF (850nm 10GE very cheap SFP) works brilliantly. Low price, low power.

likelinus

Mar 9, 2016
Nope, not Canadian, lol. I got mine from Amazon for $323 w/ prime shipping. I had the 4 port version on order from BalticNetworks, but the 2 month wait at the time was just not worth it. Sure, I'm spending more, but I'm also a bit future proofing.

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
looking at this switch as central switch in my config. how good does link aggregation work?
want to aggregate 2 sfp+ ports to a
CRS328-24P-4S+RM
and two sfp+ to a
CSS326-24G-2S+RM
Does this work properly? thanks!

cuco

Feb 13, 2018
Ok that sounds great. I am thinking about buying an access point with 2,5G or 5G RJ45 Port speeds.
Will they work with full speed with a cooper tranceiver for 10G? This informations are very hard to get cause SFP+ normally doesnt support this speeds.

Necrotyr

Jun 25, 2017
Denmark
You'd need a transceiver that supports 2.5G to make that work, but I'm not sure the switch will negotiate speeds other than 1G/10G.

lhibou

Jun 12, 2019