Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Oh man... This looks awesome! I cannot wait to see what you think of it.

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
I'm awaiting the release of this too. I'm in Canada, so ordering from Baltic Networks would cost an extra $35 in shipping, plus duties, brokerage, and taxes. I'm hoping Newegg or Amazon will have it soon, since my home lab needs extra SFP+ ports ASAP.

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
how loud does it get?
I have not tested it under full load yet. Below 40°C the switch is completely silent.
Code:
[admin@MikroTik] /system health> print
      temperature: 39C
  cpu-temperature: 38C
       psu1-state: ok
       psu2-state: ok
       fan1-speed: 0RPM
       fan2-speed: 0RPM
It has two 4-pin fans which starts at 2865 rpms. For some people it might be annoying, a specially when the switch is placed in non server rooms.

mtk05.JPG

You could probably try to replace the fans with the silent equivalents or install another one on the heatsink at back to keep the temperature low.

The temperature tresholds could be a little higher. Need to check if the values can be adjusted.

Reactions: JustinClift

HorizonXP

May 23, 2016
Where did you order it from? Or is this a review unit they sent you?

I have not tested it under full load yet. Below 40°C the switch is completely silent.
Code:
[admin@MikroTik] /system health> print
      temperature: 39C
  cpu-temperature: 38C
       psu1-state: ok
       psu2-state: ok
       fan1-speed: 0RPM
       fan2-speed: 0RPM
It has two 4-pin fans which starts at 2865 rpms. For some people it might be annoying, a specially when the switch is placed in non server rooms.

View attachment 6514

You could probably try to replace the fans with the silent equivalents or install another one on the heatsink at back to keep the temperature low.

The temperature tresholds could be a little higher. Need to check if the values can be adjusted.

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I have 2x CSS326-24G-2S+RM and a LB6M with pfsense. Is it worth migrating the L3 stuff to pfsense and get this to replace the LB6M with a 10GbE link between the 2?

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
I have 2x CSS326-24G-2S+RM and a LB6M with pfsense. Is it worth migrating the L3 stuff to pfsense and get this to replace the LB6M with a 10GbE link between the 2?
I assume that LB6M has high energy consumption and generates a lot of noise.
With 4x SFP+ modules installed the CRS317 draws only ~21W :)

Having unified devices would be also a plus

eroji

Dec 1, 2015
I assume that LB6M has high energy consumption and generates a lot of noise.
With 4x SFP+ modules installed the CRS317 draws only ~21W :)

Having unified devices would be also a plus
It would be much higher power consumption than CRS317. However, I'd imagine the L3 switching should be much faster on the LB6M. If I migrate L3 to pfsense, it will essentially cap it at 10Gb since any cross VLAN traffic will need to go from CSR317 to pfsense then back again...

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
It would be much higher power consumption than CRS317. However, I'd imagine the L3 switching should be much faster on the LB6M. If I migrate L3 to pfsense, it will essentially cap it at 10Gb since any cross VLAN traffic will need to go from CSR317 to pfsense then back again...
Alternatively, you could run L3 on CRS317. I just don't know what would be the performance over LB6M

psannz

Jun 15, 2016
Does it support full L3? I was under the impression this is L2.
It does support the full spectrum of RouterOS, therefore you can do things like basic routing to more advanced areas of OSPF and such with it.

HOWEVER, as routing is done in software on the CPU, it will be rather slow:
MikroTik

No more than 3Gbit/s if all you do is route, in terms of L3 and higher.

In other news: Mikrotik are working on getting MPLS done in hardware on that switch.
v6.41rc [release candidate] is released! New bridge implementation! - Page 4 - MikroTik RouterOS

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
Why does it have fans inside the chassis, did I miss something? The heatpipes go from the asic/cpu to the heatsink at the back/outside of the chassis.
When the switch temperature reaches 40°C, fans starts to take the hot air outside.