Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I_D

Aug 3, 2017
@Patrick : Are you still planning to do a review or article on this switch?
I would love to read an in depth test of the features, throughput, stability, etc.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick : Are you still planning to do a review or article on this switch?
I would love to read an in depth test of the features, throughput, stability, etc.
Rohit is working on it.

Very busy pipeline at STH. I only handle a fraction of content these days.

Reactions: wsuff and armata

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
I'm so tired of loud 10GB switches that I hope this thing is a legit option. Thoes 40mm fans look easily replaceable.

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
How loud are the fans when they kick in? Do they come on in normal use at normal (ie. not excessively hot) room temperatures?
This is a rather similar level of noise (~300rpm more).
Right now I have 24C ambient temperature, and the fans don't turn off. I wonder if other units have the same behaviour or is it a matter of sfp+ modules.

Could someone confirm that his switch works completely passively with more than 5 modules installed?

Last edited:

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
Nice! :)
I asked the supplier, and the modules should be available in late October or early November.
I've received an update from local supplier that S+RJ10 (10GbE) modules will be available by the end of November.
In the meantime I ordered two S-RJ01 modules. They seems to work fine.

srj01_01.JPG
srj01_02.JPG

randyruiz

Sep 9, 2017
I have had this bad boy for two weeks already. I have it mounted on a wall behind a shelf in my living room. I have three Xeon D 1540 with two DAC's each plugged into it. The DAC's are all generic from FS.com. I have yet to hear the fans kick on so its been totally silent. I have been able to hit wirespeed across 5 ports simultaneously which is good. So far so good.

It has really been underwhelming as it took about 5 min to get operational and has just sat there quietly doing its job. Another week of this and I am going to forget that it is there. Mikrotik should really have this thing flash a bunch of lights and play load music every now and then to draw some attention to it so its more like the qanta's.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I have 9 of the SFP+ ports populated and the 1 ethernet port.

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
I have had this bad boy for two weeks already. I have it mounted on a wall behind a shelf in my living room. I have three Xeon D 1540 with two DAC's each plugged into it. The DAC's are all generic from FS.com. I have yet to hear the fans kick on so its been totally silent. I have been able to hit wirespeed across 5 ports simultaneously which is good. So far so good.

It has really been underwhelming as it took about 5 min to get operational and has just sat there quietly doing its job. Another week of this and I am going to forget that it is there. Mikrotik should really have this thing flash a bunch of lights and play load music every now and then to draw some attention to it so its more like the qanta's.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I have 9 of the SFP+ ports populated and the 1 ethernet port.
Nice, are you using RouterOS or SwitchOS?
Please, could you check what temperatures your switch and its cpu reaches?

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Anyone tested the cpu usage for routing purpose?
its sibling CRS226-24G-2S+IN is not doing a very good job for my diskless environment
I use ISCSI based diskless program to boot roughly 28 PCs, (some branched to 2 regular gb switches)
And its cpu usage spike up even with newest firmware, causing connection issues such as reboots, long boot time..
Guess i was expecting too much for 400mhz cpu..

This one is 800mhz if im not wrong? Plan to use it to diskless boot probably 8-10 10G based diskless clients

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
Ignore the layer-3 capabilities, and think of this as a dumb layer-2 switch. There's only a single 10Gbps port to/from the CPU, and the CPU (while pretty powerful for a 1Gbps router) is literally a half-clockspeed SKU of the chip from the RB3011UiAS-RM - it'll do about 3Gbps in dumb blind inter-vlan forwarding mode (1518b packets) but it's really there as a management engine.

If you only ask it to do routing/forwarding for, say, management and internet access, it'll work great - even push 1Gbps of NAT if you're not too mean to it, and there's a bunch of more powerful/performant features coming in future routerOS/switchOS releases, like hardware MPLS forwarding (they're writing drivers) - but it'll fall over the moment you ask it to route any real amount of traffic at 10Gbps line-rates.

It'll do full line-rate switching performance with no trouble though, and you can plug your internet connection into the copper port and have it perform router duties if you want. I'd recommend just running switchOS (rather than full routerOS) and leaving it to be a dumb L2 switch, though.

denywinarto

Aug 11, 2016
Ignore the layer-3 capabilities, and think of this as a dumb layer-2 switch. There's only a single 10Gbps port to/from the CPU, and the CPU (while pretty powerful for a 1Gbps router) is literally a half-clockspeed SKU of the chip from the RB3011UiAS-RM - it'll do about 3Gbps in dumb blind inter-vlan forwarding mode (1518b packets) but it's really there as a management engine.

If you only ask it to do routing/forwarding for, say, management and internet access, it'll work great - even push 1Gbps of NAT if you're not too mean to it, and there's a bunch of more powerful/performant features coming in future routerOS/switchOS releases, like hardware MPLS forwarding (they're writing drivers) - but it'll fall over the moment you ask it to route any real amount of traffic at 10Gbps line-rates.

It'll do full line-rate switching performance with no trouble though, and you can plug your internet connection into the copper port and have it perform router duties if you want. I'd recommend just running switchOS (rather than full routerOS) and leaving it to be a dumb L2 switch, though.
How many ports are you using?
I forgot to mention i'm using CRS 226 as a merely dumb switch,
infact i installed winbox and upgraded the firmware to the latest after connection issues occured..
The cpu spiked up to 70-100%,
But in my case there was also smb traffic from different server along with the ISCSI traffic..
From your answer seems like it's not good enough for my needs..
Some chinese company offered me a Lite L3 16 SFP+ port switch for like 700$, maybe i'll look into this instead..

neggles

is 34 Xeons too many?
Sep 2, 2017
Melbourne, AU
omnom.net
I suggest posting your configuration and issues on the MikroTik forums themselves - the setup of the device is critical to performance, and it's a huge b!&@# to configure correctly. They should be able to help.

Pradawny

Oct 16, 2016
Being little annoyed by the sound of switch fans, I decided to replace them

noctua_fans.JPG

I used Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM and NF-A4x10 FLX, but later I replaced the second one with a thick PWM version.

...and nothing but silence :)

Reactions: Patrick and Evan

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
so any reviews and actual testing/benchmarks on this switch yet? i'm debating between this, ES-16-XG, and LB6M... mainly need a simple 12 or more SFP+ ports L2 switch (LACP,VLAN)... The ES-16-XG just seems to have a lot of compatibility issues, the LB6M seems to consume too much power..

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
Being little annoyed by the sound of switch fans, I decided to replace them

I used Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM and NF-A4x10 FLX, but later I replaced the second one with a thick PWM version.

...and nothing but silence :)
the fan noise issue on the crs317 is a software bug that has been fixed.
The problem is the switch not reading info from the sfp+ transceivers correctly, so they report a temperature in the transceiver, that is plain wrong.
It has been fixed in v6.41rc31 and newer.

-Jannis

am4593

Feb 20, 2017
the fan noise issue on the crs317 is a software bug that has been fixed.
The problem is the switch not reading info from the sfp+ transceivers correctly, so they report a temperature in the transceiver, that is plain wrong.
It has been fixed in v6.41rc31 and newer.

-Jannis

sweet. Been debating between the CRS317 and the LB6M for a while now for home use. Just unplugged my lb4m yesterday and I can hear myself think again. The recent posting for a new LB6M for 300$ has been really enticing but gotta go with the CRS317 if it really is quiet. I sit right next to an open rack so loud is no good.