Mikrotik CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe - 2x 25G router in a PCIe slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
As I was looking up prices for the CCR2216 router because of the article that was posted on the main site, I noticed they also had this interesting card called CCR2004-1G-2XS-PCIe listed.

Apparently it's a CCR2004 equivalent router with two SFP28 interfaces + 1G RJ45 that you can stick in a PCIe slot, not just for power but also as interfaces for the host machine.
If this website is to be trusted, we are looking at price of 140 EUR without VAT.

I am not sure if you can use it as just a NIC and what the actual use case of a product like this is, but it certainly looks like an interesting product.

@Patrick, candidate for a review?

Here is Mikrotik's announcement video:

PS: if the card doesn't absolutely require a host machine, I suppose it should be possible to use an external box (like the thunderbolt ones) to power it, potentially providing a cheap means of getting a relatively powerful router (ideal for router on stick kind of setup).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@RTM - ping me in April when they are launched and I will get one if I can buy it.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I have been thinking, how does it expose interfaces to the host machine?
Is it somehow from the annapurna SoC or a separate controller? And how do these interfaces compare with ones from a typical NIC, do they support SR-IOV etc.?
@RTM - ping me in April when they are launched and I will get one if I can buy it.
Will do, it should mean I wont have to buy one myself to sate my curiosity :D

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Well if you use, for example, a BlueField-2 DPU it is a multi-host adapter. So one host is the Arm core complex, the other is the host server via the PCIe.

We are going to have some really cool DPU/ FPGA/ SmartNIC/ IPU content coming using an external box. I have been working at this for like 3 months and the supplies should all be here this week.

Edit, just checked, looks similar to what they are doing.

Reactions: mach3.2 and RTM