Migration path from LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-16i?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smidley

Feb 7, 2011
I have an LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-16i (with BBU) and an HP SAS expander. I have 19x 2TB drives connected in a RAID 5. The RAID card is on it's way out though. I've been getting a lot of fatal firmware errors on it, and bad PHY errors. I need to determine a migration path off of this card and onto something else. What should I be looking at?

I would like to start a new array with larger drives and possibly sell some of the 2TB drives. My motherboard has on-board SAS connectors as well, but I'm not sure how good they are. Motherboard is a Tyan S7012.

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
Basically LSI cards (branded ideally) will work fine. Are you running the RAID array using the hardware capabilities of the current card (most likely) or software raid on top? If H/W RAID then the onboard ports probably won't work but usually they are LSI chipset based as well

chinesestunna

Jan 23, 2015
19 drives in raid 5?!?! That's mildly insane.. Maybe three lots of 6 in raid 5 or something but 19 is risking a big loss..
I didn't want to ask but that bit made me very nervous as well, I went up to 8 drive RAID5 before going to 10 drive RAID6 because I was losing sleep

Reactions: NetWise

smidley

Feb 7, 2011
I had them all in a RAID 6 before and then went back down to a RAID 5. This isn't critical information. I haven't had any issues with it until now when my controller started failing.

NetWise

Jun 29, 2012
Edmonton, AB, Canada
I had them all in a RAID 6 before and then went back down to a RAID 5. This isn't critical information. I haven't had any issues with it until now when my controller started failing.
The issue isn't in normal operation. It's during failure. The issue is that RAID5 will statistically have a read/write failure once in 13billion blocks or some such - around 13tb or whatever (going from memory). So it will RUN just fine. But when a drive dies, you're 'statistically certain' to have a rebuild failure. At 19x2 you're pretty much guaranteed it'll never rebuild.

I'd do 3x6 disks stripes in RAID50 with a hot spare or RAID6 - still probably with a hot spare.

If the data truly doesn't matter that much then don't worry about the migration path. Move the disks over, create a new array and restore the data from however you're backing it up. If you're ALSO not backing it up.... :/

Anyway, you SHOULD be able to attach it to any similar or newer LSI based controller and 'import foreign config'.