midnight commander in Solaris and OmniOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Midnight Commander
Midnight commander (mc) is a filebrowser that allows browsing/ copying/ moving/ viewing and editing files from a text console.

As mc is not in the current Solaris 11.4 or OmniOS repository the fastest way to get it is my online installer (start the installer as user root from folder /root):
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/midnight_commander | perl

If midnight commander does not show correct borders in Putty:
- open Putty settings Window > Translation: modify ex from UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1, West Europe)
- reconnect

btw
Installation of mc is automatically included when you run the online wget napp-it installer

Last edited:
Reactions: dawsonkm and Tha_14

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
Hi gea,
FYI, it seems the Midnight Commander site is down. Problem is, it stops the installation using your script, as it stays stuck on the "
start download now, please wait..." message.
Anyway, thanks for your great work!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Yes, seems a (over)load problem with my downloadserver as even from Germany a download lasts nearly a minute. I switched to another downloadlocation. Can you please retry?

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
Midnight Commander
Midnight commander (mc) is a filebrowser that allows browsing/ copying/ moving/ viewing and editing files from a text console.

As mc is not in the current Solaris 11.4 or OmniOS repository the fastest way to get it is my online installer (start the installer as user root from folder /root):
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/midnight_commander | perl

If midnight commander does not show correct borders in Putty:
- open Putty settings Window > Translation: modify ex from UTF-8 to ISO 8859-1 (Latin-1, West Europe)
- reconnect

btw
Installation of mc is automatically included when you run the online wget napp-it installer
Thanks Gea,

MC is the first program I install on Linux or Solaris. I just installed Solaris 11.4 and did not find it.

You might be able to help me with another problem. I installed Solaris as a VM in esxi 6.7. I have 2 4TB disks in the server that I am trying to pass to Solaris as RDM physical disks. Whatever I do I only get 1.64TB available in Solaris. If I try with Linux the whole capacity is available. I also installed OmniOS but get the same problem there. These are 512/4096 bytes sector disks but it looks like the adapter (lsi logic SAS) reports them as 512/512.

I know the right solution is to buy a HBA. But the server has only space for 2 disks and speed is not that critical.

BR
Peter

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If the LSI adapter is an older SAS1 with an LSI 1068/1064 chipset you are limited to 2 TB. There is no way around. The physical sectorsize or ashift is not related to this barrier.

Newer SAS2/3 HBAs support larger disks, does not matter if you pass-through the whole controller or if you add a pysical raw disk (Sata or SAS) in ESXi via menu VM properties and add disk > raw

PeterF

Jul 28, 2014
If the LSI adapter is an older SAS1 with an LSI 1068/1064 chipset you are limited to 2 TB. There is no way around. The physical sectorsize or ashift is not related to this barrier.

Newer SAS2/3 HBAs support larger disks, does not matter if you pass-through the whole controller or if you add a pysical raw disk (Sata or SAS) in ESXi via menu VM properties and add disk > raw
I am using the MB sata controller. It is a Dell r210-ii server, about 5-6 years old. Esxi sees the whole disk. Also when I create the vmdk map file with vmkfsutil I can see that the mapping is created correctly. Using this vmdk file in Linux give correct size. But when I instead attach it to solaris or omnios I get only 1.64 TB. It is reporting 512 byte physical sectors. To me it looks like a drive issue in Solaris/Omnios. I have tried setting the physical size in sd.conf. but it does not make any difference. Maybe that needs to be inside the boot archive.

BR
Peter

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
I cannot rule out a driver problem (also rdm over sata is an unsupported feature of ESXi). You should think of an HBA with an LSI 2008, 3008 or 2308 chipset, They are quite cheap when buying used. You can then either pass-through the whole HBA or use physical rdm directly from the ESXi GUI via add raw disk.

sd.conf is only for the mpt_sas driver (SAS HBAs) but as said physical sectorsize is not the problem.