Microsoft Windows Server 2016 hits general availability

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Patrick Kennedy, Oct 12, 2016.

1. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

all the docker work has got me thinking about this release again. Still I think they should make the whole thing freemium - even in prod and just sell OPTIONAL support licenses, that would bring the whole thing on par with Linux and cement marketshare I'm sure.

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

The issue that Microsoft has is that going "freemium" would cost billions in revenue.

3. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

Also, as Devil's Advocate, I don't WANT Microsoft to equal Linux. I like that it's different for better or for worse. It's okay to have options that are not clones of each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RobertFontaine

RobertFontaine Active Member

Can never bring myself to pay for all the dam licence. I need a freemium msdn subscription.

Except that we write and sell msft based software I would be just as happy never booting windows. I have no need for it anymore.

gigatexal likes this.
  5. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

I'd like to live in a world where we support people who make products who keep us gainfully employed and billing :)

If you write and sell Microsoft based software, why are you not a Partner with a Competency, which often comes with MSDN subscriptions and/or IUR software? Or at the very least, BizSpark members? Lots of ways to get the software cheap and legit my friend, especially if you're a partner/developer.

StevenDTX likes this.
  6. RobertFontaine

RobertFontaine Active Member

Been thinking about bizspark. Been too busy to sharpen the axe lately. Still have to incorporate and find an accountant.

Frankly I'm more interested in machine learning, fpga, and opencl than I am in another msft business app. I have spent almost 30 years as some member of custom business apps team. In my spare cycles I prefer to study STEM topics.

If I was smarter, younger and better looking I'd be trying to figure out how to get a job with dwave. ;)

7. J--

J-- Active Member

Is there any indication of when Hyper-V Server 2016 will hit GA?

All the links I'm seeing are still to Technical Preview 5.

8. Antonio

Antonio Member

Technet Evaluation Center

Patrick likes this.
  9. J--

J-- Active Member

@Antonio

Hmm, still says evaluation though (even though the Hyper-V Server is supposedly free?), whereas Hyper-V Server 2012 says unlimited.

Just don't want to install and have to re-install in a week.