Microserver Gen10 Plus - iLO shared port for free

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tx12

May 17, 2019
To use networked iLO in Microserver Gen10 Plus an additional NIC card is required (p/n P13788-B21). If you don't have this card shared port will be also disabled.

TL,DR: pin B31 of MS10plus iLO dedicated NIC slot is used for addon card detection. Pulling this pin low (to GND) enables iLO network functions. Of course, it's only possible to use shared port iLO (port 1 or port 2 of 1Gb LOM) if you don't have an addon card.

This method was tested with iLO 2.16 and System ROM 2.16. Future versions may improve PHY detection routines to disable this easy activation.

If you want to do this hardware modification you'll need to either solder a short wire between pins B31 and B32 of iLO dedicated slot on MS10 Plus's riser card (reliable and preferred way) or insert a jumper wire between these contacts. Any hardware modifications are risky and you only doing that at your own risk! Also I think your warranty will be void if you'll do any soldering to the riser board.

If you want to try this mod, I strongly advise to go with soldering method. Stray jumper wire may break, detach or fall off and short/damage/fire up your system board!!! Extreme care must be taken if you only want to insert a jumper but not to solder it.

Fully remove power before doing this mod. iLO must be reset after applying or removing the mod for changes to take effect.

To solder: remove the PCIe riser and unscrew riser's PCB from it's hardware. Solder a thin wire on the back of dedicated slot between B31 and B32. Assembly everything back. Any soldering will void your warranty!

ms10_p_wire_solder.jpg

To insert jumper: push spring contacts with an egde of any card and insert a piece of thin wire between B31 and B32. Make sure spring contact holds your wire tight so it won't fall down to your system board causing shorts, smoke and havoc. Pin pitch is only 1mm so it's easier to remove the riser and insert the jumper on your bench. Don't try just to instert a wire into free space above the spring contact! The wire will fall off and damage your board. Make sure spring pin actually holds the wire in its place. Double check for errors and shorts! If possible, use the soldering method as it's much more reliable.

ms10_p_wire_jumper.jpg

If the jumper wire connects properly, you'll see iLO IPV4 and IPV6 information no longer says "Disabled". Go to system configuration and configure iLO to use LOM shared port. Have fun!

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Can you do one of those old lead pencil jumper tricks instead of solder or the jumper?

nickf1227

Sep 23, 2015
So, actually, all that is required is some precision cutting of a paper clip :)

Really cool find. Thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: Patrick

tx12

May 17, 2019
Paper clip would be too thick for jumper method. I use a single thin wire extracted from stranded wires of old PSU.

BeTeP

Mar 23, 2019
Cut out a piece of plastic (an old credit card will do) to fit snugly in to the slot and then glue a strip of aluminum foil just wide enough to cover 2 last pins. Here's your removable/reusable jumper card.

At first I was going to suggest using one sided PCB stock and removing the extra copper. While more durable it is also much more labor intensive. And not everyone is going to have copper laminate boards laying around.

Last edited:

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Cut out a piece of plastic (an old credit card will do) to fit snugly in to the slot and then glue a strip of aluminum foil just wide enough to cover 2 last pins. Here's your removable/reusable jumper card.

At first I was going to suggest using one sided PCB stock and removing the extra copper. While more durable it is also much more labor intensive. And not everyone is going to have copper laminate boards laying around.
Maybe a picture Is better to show this mod?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
The ILO Slot is already M.2 NVMe. But be careful, all fans will run at 100% if you install a non HPE NVMe drive.
You use the iLo slot as regular PCIe ? I thought i was checked not possible.
I have a selection of HPE drives here but not an adapter but it’s on its way I can try it and see if your right soon I hope.

abbott

Nov 27, 2020
You use the iLo slot as regular PCIe ? I thought i was checked not possible.
I have a selection of HPE drives here but not an adapter but it’s on its way I can try it and see if your right soon I hope.
Any luck?

tx12

May 17, 2019
I believe this dedicated iLO slot only features SGMII link for external Ethernet PHY. No PCIe wiring available on this connector.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

tokalion

Mar 31, 2020
Now if only there was a suitable riser that was 2 x8 instead of the one x16 plus iLO..

Edit: due to the room available where the iLO card goes.. maybe only an x4, still good for 10gbe.

Docop

Jul 19, 2016
Any did try to fit other card or get extra pcie lane from the port with this mod ?