Micron S630DC drive temp

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

neb50

Aug 28, 2018
I got a few of the 3.2TB S630DC drives when they were on sale last year and have now finally started to use them in my Dell R720xd. In the rear drive bays with slower quiet ran speeds, they run around 49C - 55C when mostly idle depending on how warm the CPU's are. They run closer to 38-42C in the front drive bays with the same fan speeds.

How warm can these drives run without any issues? The datasheet says SMART warning at 65C and max temp of 70C so does that mean running them at 55C with them getting up to 58-60C during extended writes isn't going to greatly affect them?

I can raise the minimum fan speed up slightly and get them to run in the 47-50C range in the rear bays if that makes a considerable difference.

Or should I move them to the front bays where they run cooler and either run them at SAS2 speeds and/or try to get the front bays up to SAS3 speeds?

redeamon

Jun 10, 2018
Those drives do run a little hot, but 60c should be okay as long as it's not "too often".

Some options-
1) Write a script that checks drive temperature and IPMIs the fans to run a higher when they're utilized more, etc.
2) Upgrade to a dell r730 :)
3) Hack in a fan over the rear cage using the gpu power connector- this really isn't as hard as it sounds