Micron memory compatibility question for SuperMicro server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
I recently purchased a SuperMicro SYS-5028D-TN4T system, equipped with 64GB of Micron RAM, SKU # MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1

I would like to buy two add'l sticks of RAM and max out the memory on this system.

On eBay I have found Micron RAM sticks with SKU # MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1, for a very reasonable price. Note that the only difference in the part numbers is the next-to-last character ('E' vs 'D'). Otherwise these are both 32GB, 288-pin, DDR4 Registered ECC 1.2V-2666 modules.

I emailed SuperMicro support and asked them if the two SKUs were compatible, but they hedged, stating: "We recommend always using DDR4 DIMM modules of the same size, type and speed."

Well, it seems to me that these two parts are identical in size, type, and speed. The only difference (according to Micron's part number decoder -- copy attached) being the die version -- 'E' vs 'D' -- which leads me to believe they are compatible.

Am I wrong? Should I purchase the more expensive 'E' version of these modules instead?

Thanks

Attachments