Micron M500 960GB SSD SATA III MLC 6Gb/s $50 with offer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
What is wrong with Micron?
I have two 5100s that just randomly drop offline. Of course, when I plug them in to run storage executive, it reports thay are "100%", so MIcron wont replace them.

I am going to trash them and I already ordered Samsung 883s to replace them.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
What is wrong with Micron?
There should be numerous old posts on these.

They came out with firmware to fix some\most of the latency issues iirc but there were other issues too. Sorry I dont' recall the specifics it was 4 years ago.

Reactions: Samir

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
And all gone. STH effect I guess.
There still plenty available when I was putting in my offer and while deciding to buy or not, poof, all gone.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I have two 5100s that just randomly drop offline. Of course, when I plug them in to run storage executive, it reports thay are "100%", so MIcron wont replace them.

I am going to trash them and I already ordered Samsung 883s to replace them.
I'll pay you to ship them to me. I'd be curious to play with them and figure out why they're dropping.

Toddh

Jan 30, 2013
We have have had issues with Micron 5100 randomly dropping. This was as recently as December 2019. All tested fine in in Storage Exec except one.

RMA through Micron was a HUGE Pain. Micron does not have a support phone number, only an email. When I did not get a email response in 24 hours I call the only number I could find, that was for Crucial. Crucial passed it off as a Micron drive and insisted I call them. When I pointed out there was no phone number and they were the same company I was finally able to get them to assist. They agreed to RMA the drive and set up the process. I received an email with the sales order for the new SSD saying a drive would ship out.

Only the drive never shipped. I emailed them 3 times and never received a single response to my emails over a two-week period . I finally called back only to find out that Crucial/Micron does not cross ship. I had to ship the defective drive back, and they receive it, before they would ship a replacement. I asked why I was not told this upfront and they had no answer. By the time all was done it took nearly 4 weeks for me to receive a replacement Enterprise SSD.

Of 6 SSDs in production we have had 4 drop out in the past year. This is in an S2D cluster and is caused major problems. Up till now I thought I was the only one having a problem with the Micron 5100 drives.

Last edited:

doughnet

Dec 24, 2018
I bought two. Should I return them to the seller? If so; what should I tell them? That they dropped on me?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I bought two. Should I return them to the seller?
It really depends your usage.
For VMs, you could do a lot better than Micron M500 ssd. ( nice way to say "forget about it")

BTW, Micro M5100 is for enterprise , M500 is consumer version.
M5100 should be light years better than M500

Reactions: T_Minus