Microchip SyncServer S600 Administering Time for SC19

• Thread starter Patrick Kennedy
  • Start date
Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

niekbergboer

Jun 21, 2016
Switzerland
Interesting! For DIY stuff, I have played with a Garmin 18x and reasonable modern Intel NICs (with hardware time stamping support), and when using PTP (IEEE 1588v2), ~3 us jitter is very possible on the cheap.

That is: 3 servers, with either X520 or X710 cards, a switch in between (which itself does not have special PTP support). $250 in hardware.

Reactions: Patrick

pcmoore

Apr 14, 2018
New England, USA
A word of caution regarding Microsemi/Microchip: firmware updates require a support contract. This may not be a major concern for enterprise customers, but it is worth noting for home labs.

FWIW, I've had good luck with both Meinberg and Spectracom/Orolia; both provide freely available firmware updates and both companies have been responsive when I've contacted support without a support contract. I've been particularly happy with Meinberg as they continue to support older hardware they no longer sell with new firmware releases (e.g. M600); I've not seen this with other timing vendors.

Reactions: Patrick