Mezzanine and Backplane Connectors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chris0709

Oct 20, 2018
thanks for the response, I turned the wrong 5 dip switch on. It works now perfect. And which browser did you use for ilo?

Chris0709

Oct 20, 2018
Does someone of you have an bladecenter and can trace down the connections between the blade back connector and the Ethernet modules?

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
Does someone of you have an bladecenter and can trace down the connections between the blade back connector and the Ethernet modules?
"tim.yoshi" has one, but no time :)

I'm still more interested in connecting cheap PCI-e x1 slot gigabit LAN card to mezzanine slot. But that requires mezz-MXM adapter, which is somehow pricey. But once traced, then the gigabit LAN for blade will be cheap as 10€ for mentioned NIC. Effort to connect it should be similar to connecting pass-through ethernet module. Maybe even straigtforward, if pass-t module will require OA to work...
s-l16005.jpg s-l16006.jpg

Chris0709

Oct 20, 2018
i would like to get the connection on the back, because i have all my servers equiped with the 10g module.

pierre ler

Nov 23, 2019
Hi, did you connect pci REFCLK+ / REFCLK- ? or these signals are not mandatory ?
I try to do same thing with a m3 cisco blade, but i don't know how to find these signals.

warvick

Sep 7, 2019
Hi, did you connect pci REFCLK+ / REFCLK- ? or these signals are not mandatory ?
I try to do same thing with a m3 cisco blade, but i don't know how to find these signals.
Hi, no pci REFCLK+ / REFCLK signals are very important, without them the pci card will not be initialized(in my docs CLK+ and CLK-),when the server switches off the resistance of these lines about 60 ohms.

pierre ler

Nov 23, 2019
Ok, I have found the 16 data lines, resistance is about 125 ohms, but not yet the clk, maybe no static resistor connected ?.
I ignore for now the polarity for signal pairs and signal id (0..15). I will try different combinations. Hope will destroy nothing..

pierre ler

Nov 23, 2019
I have done tests on unconnected mezzanine board, maybe if connected to motherboard I will mesure 60 ohms somewhere.

hackey

Sep 3, 2020
guys, please tell me. Did you get the pci-e? Stumbled upon this thread, also trying to do it. But I do not understand from the scheme, what do the first pins "c to" mean in the Excel file?

S28cow

Dec 11, 2020
guys, please tell me. Did you get the pci-e? Stumbled upon this thread, also trying to do it. But I do not understand from the scheme, what do the first pins "c to" mean in the Excel file?
i believe c to refers to “connect to” on the pcie adapter / card ur hoping to connect.

the Diagram is a literal display of the socket on the main board, the black areas are GND. The columns connected are 2,3,5,7,9,10,12,13,15,16

the rows are 1-9 so either 1,3,5,7,9 or 9,7,5,3,1 are gnd leaving rows 2,4,6,8 for connection to relevant points.
Mirror this for other side connector.

Only part I’m struggling with is the top part, the layout is odd, I presume it’s offset going down. But until I find one to unsolder and probe ( I’m currently researching how to find the relevant pins on the pcie side, any help and advise be gratefully recieved, if there’s a diagram of the pinout for the connector you used Warwick that’s be super helpful. Thx

Czero

Apr 5, 2022
Hello guys,

I'm sorry to reopen a (not so) old ticket!
Did someone manage to start a bl460c gen9 outside the chassis?
I tried combination of dipswitch from older blade gen without success.

I found 2 different behaviors with switch 8 and 12:
-8: the led near the sd card slot keep flashing (when with other switch light up then go dark)
-12: the blade draws ~250ma instead of ~180ma
I tried letting them start for a long time, but I get no light on the front panel.

I have 3 of these blade, with very nice spec, but I find the c3000 chassis a little bit pricey, and when I found cheap c7000, shipping is killing it.

Best regards!
Rémi