Mezzanine and Backplane Connectors

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
Also if it could be beneficial or provide some insights I have made comprehensive electrical testing of it's mighty 100 pin connector in relation to the common GND - i.e. resistance, capacitance and diode test. Here in table are the results. if cell is empty - then there was "nothing" .
While patterns is clearly visible yet results interpretation is yet a good question.

Here is the table:
blade_pinout.xlsx
Have you had some mezzanine card inserted while measuring the pinout?

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
It's a server) you just can't kill it :)

If I recall correctly I tried to calculate all possible combinations and came to conclusion that there is indeed SerDes in there - they are connecting to switches and by 4 wires only. And it's Gigabit connection which is not possible with 4 wires - only 8 in conventional copper twisted pair. If used 8 pairs - then there will be no space left in it's 100 contact connector, but we know for sure that there is a lot of space in fact used by something else. So SerDes takes place for sure. Also it is drawn this way in documents - iLO - plain old good 4 copper Ethernet twisted pair for 100MB connection and special highspeed connection for two onboard networks and plus reserved for two or more possible external NICs.

Yeah, sure :)
So from the datasheet of Broadcom 57712 it's obvious that it's really using SerDes lanes (XAUI), and have no PHY, so no way to attach copper LAN to them. Only way seems to be wiring-up the pass-through module, or as suggested in another post - identify the pinout of MEZZ port and wire the "external" slot NIC there via some riser board. Even the PCI-e x1 version should work...

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
Hi, short update. G6 could start (with power button only) even with latest ILO FW 2.33 . Unfortunately, G7 can't start at all (mtw switch no. 5 ON), I've checked it in our lab (C3000 enclosure) and there was working like a charm. So I will play with G6, now loaded with 2x X5650 and 40 GB RAM :) Going to buy new fan tomorrow (120x120, 138 CFM), it's getting hot.

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
IKEA box cover + step-down module for Sunon MEC0381V1-A99 fan. And of course, plenty of ducktape ;)20181031_202610-small.jpg

tim.yoshi

Jun 25, 2017
Kiev, Ukraine
Sorry, have not seen the reply's.

Have you had some mezzanine card inserted while measuring the pinout?
No, I even don't have mexx card)

So from the datasheet of Broadcom 57712 it's obvious that it's really using SerDes lanes (XAUI), and have no PHY, so no way to attach copper LAN to them. Only way seems to be wiring-up the pass-through module, or as suggested in another post - identify the pinout of MEZZ port and wire the "external" slot NIC there via some riser board. Even the PCI-e x1 version should work...
Yes, but that will take up precious PCI-e lanes :) I still think that wiring up external HP Cisco switch will be the perfect way to go.

Hi, short update. G6 could start (with power button only) even with latest ILO FW 2.33 . Unfortunately, G7 can't start at all (mtw switch no. 5 ON), I've checked it in our lab (C3000 enclosure) and there was working like a charm. So I will play with G6, now loaded with 2x X5650 and 40 GB RAM :) Going to buy new fan tomorrow (120x120, 138 CFM), it's getting hot.
That's pretty sad as I have only G7 board and planning using only it :(
Yeah, I said previously - it needs way more cooling

IKEA box cover + step-down module for Sunon MEC0381V1-A99 fan. And of course, plenty of ducktape ;)View attachment 9547
"The Martian: 'Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped"
:)

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
Okay, but if blade have only ILO RJ45 & SerDes on a back connector, then it must checking the enclosure before allowing power on. I will run Wireshark to confirm that. If so, will have to run G7 in c3000 once again and try to catch required data to allow power on. Then we can simulate it by some OrangePi or something...

tim.yoshi

Jun 25, 2017
Kiev, Ukraine
Okay, but if blade have only ILO RJ45 & SerDes on a back connector, then it must checking the enclosure before allowing power on. I will run Wireshark to confirm that. If so, will have to run G7 in c3000 once again and try to catch required data to allow power on. Then we can simulate it by some OrangePi or something...
I don't thing that it is having only this - at least it has also a connection to onboard administration module and likely something else. As you can see from my pinout file that I measure there is a lot of unpopulated connections, but still a lot of used connections.

Also I believe that connection and communication to OA is the key here. There was test here upped in this thread and OA likely played the critical role in all of this.

And likely, once it could be totally reverse engineered it could be emulated even with Arduino pro mini :)

neolead

Nov 12, 2018
g7 works perfectly.
Cheap Home Server for bug bounting. HP Proliant blade BL460C Gen7 @ Home. Without Chassis. DIY.
my researches....

neolead

Nov 12, 2018
You could made it simpler by connecting directly to back connector.
I made found with multimeter that iLO network is directly wired to connector. Here is the pins:

A 10 - iLO Rx-
B 10 - iLO Rx+

A 9 - iLO Tx-
B 9 - iLO Tx+

Pin naming as per follows:
View attachment 9524

But I have not powered it yet. Not even tested. Just when I was testing connections with probe I had an emergency and abandoned that project for awhile. As I said I plan to go back to it, but not now, maybe in few months.
Also from what I know from now from internet and all this documents - you can't really directly connect to onboard LAN - it is going by SerDes chips and I believe they are quite proprietary. Way easier is to buy it's supplemental Cisco gigabit switch which will do the job just fine. It cost some really small price. here is the link: WS-CBS3020-HPQ | eBay
The trick is how to power it on. I believe I found the necessary info, but as i said i never got a chance to tinker with it for a enough time.
Also I doubt power button is wired to back :) I guess they made it in mode advanced fashion by transistors or even i2c, or even more proprietary with iLo.

So the bottom line - I'd also like to be able to turn it on or off remotely with the iLo, but from early test made here by fellow members I believe this will be complicated - iLo will be very upset about absence of it's native fans, OA module and possibly signals from PSUs. If one will be able to supplement all that data to it ( i believe it all can easily be faked even with arduino, but one should clearly know WHICH EXACTLY data to fake) it could work this way. But where we'd take from all that data?

Hehe, so the way with WS-CBS3020-HPQ is great, but determination of wiring will be fun...

tim.yoshi

Jun 25, 2017
Kiev, Ukraine
Yeah, but it's an old known method. in those DIP switches you just turn off iLO in order to be able to start it without chassis. Here we are discussing the way to leave the iLO ON in order to be able to manage it remotely. This is my main scope of interest. If this is impossible then this whole endeavor becomes of a way lesser value to me. I really need remote management.

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
can someone give me the pinout of the hp local io adapter?
I wouldn't tinker it, it's not worth of spent time. Search ebay for "HP SUV cable" or "416003-001" and you can find it for as low as 16USD. I bought mine for 12€ recently.

TomasHC

Oct 23, 2018
Yeah, but it's an old known method. in those DIP switches you just turn off iLO in order to be able to start it without chassis. Here we are discussing the way to leave the iLO ON in order to be able to manage it remotely. This is my main scope of interest. If this is impossible then this whole endeavor becomes of a way lesser value to me. I really need remote management.
Strange, can't confirm that. Once again I've tried start G7 with that switches 1 & 3 ON - I was able to power it on (wasn't the case before), ILO was working fine, but I didn't get any video output from d-sub nor ILO console, even no beep at end of (expetced) POST. I'm not going to spend any more time on that, even the working G6 is out of my scope as I've got fully loaded DL360G6 in a garage, so don't need any furhter HW, especially if remote power on is not working.

Chris0709

Oct 20, 2018
I wouldn't tinker it, it's not worth of spent time. Search ebay for "HP SUV cable" or "416003-001" and you can find it for as low as 16USD. I bought mine for 12€ recently.
I wanted to buy one, but then I saw that they’re like 30-50€ in my region

Chris0709

Oct 20, 2018
Got my bl460c g6 "running" with ilo workin, but when i try to power it on by the front button it gives me this error

Attachments