Memory population for Supermicro X9QRI-F+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

statmankyle21

Apr 9, 2021
I am considering getting a Supermicro X9QRI-F+ for a workstation of both discrete simulation monte carlo and CFD. To keep the costs from getting out of control, I am trying to figure out the minimum amount of DIMMS for all 4 CPUs. If I am understanding the manual correctly (page 2-12 ):

I need two channels of every processor populated. Also, I am a little confused with Note 1 on the same page. So, only 1866 memory will run slower if they are DIMMS in both slots of a memory channel?

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I need two channels of every processor populated.
The manuals don't cover every possible DIMM configuration. I would suspect you could get by with one DIMM per processor, and put it in the A1 slot for that processor. If it were me, though, I buy 16 DIMMs and fill all the blue slots, since those should be filled first.

The note basically means that you can't run at 1866MHz with multiple DIMMs per channel. In that configuration, memory will be clocked at no more than 1600MHz, or the maximum your memory can handle. By having multiple DIMMs per channel, overall throughput more than makes up for the 1600MHz clock max in that configuration.

statmankyle21

Apr 9, 2021
At least in N.America, DDR3 RDIMM prices have gotten really cheap lately; why not load up and keep more of your grid in memory?
I am not too sure what my memory requirements will be for my models. However, the DSMC solver I am using is highly parallelizable, so I think a Quad CPU would work. I was thinking of adding memory in 128/256 GB increments due to 16GB module prices, but I think my supervisor wants to go with a dual-socket system. I cluster computer would be ideal.