Memory for E3 series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Hank C

Jun 16, 2014
What kind of memory is needed for the E3 processor? Do I need to use ECC UDIMM or will regular desktop one work?

DBayPlaya2k3

Nov 9, 2012
Houston
The recommended memory for E3 Xeons is DDR3 ECC UDIMM's.

This doesn't mean that non ECC memory wont work as there are some consumer boards (meant for Core i series) that also happen to work with Xeon's (normally unofficially).

Your best bet is the see if the vendor of the motherboard has a Qualified Memory List which will show you the exact modules they have tested and are known to work for the given board.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Only Unbuffered / UDIMMs will work as Dbay said. You can use ECC if your task demands it or non-ecc if it doesn't both will work. But Registered/buffered will not.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Like Patriot said you can't use RDIMMs so be sure to price out the complete package vs the E5 alternative, sometimes depending on the CPU the E5 alternative can be chaeper after you factor in RAM assuming you were going to want at-least 32GB to start, the E3 is done there too so keep that in mind.

Entz

Apr 25, 2013
Canada Eh?
Indeed, check with the motherboard manufactures. Some boards (i.e. Supermicro) have issues if you do not use ECC UDIMMS.

Reactions: Patriot