Memory and PCI-E slots directions and other build issues

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hzrdog

Mar 6, 2016
I'm a Mac / Windows user and I'm currently using a Mac Pro 2013 with E5 1650v2 in dual OS boot.
I find it becomes more and more annoying to keep rebooting to switch between two OSs so I decide to get a new build solely for Windows. And I will put it on my rack if possible.

Since I just need similar computing power, I started to look into Supermicro UP E5 series. X10RSA-F has four x16 PCI-E 30 slots which seems fits my need because I need to install a gfx card. However I realize that the memory slots are perpendicluar to PCI-E slots on that board. FWIW, they should be paralleled to get better ventilation. For all (not many ,just some Dell, HP, IBM) the servers and workstation I encoutered, they tend to put all the slots in the same direction. On the other hand, the desktop PC boards seems more perfer the perendicluar thing. I also notice that the other UP E5 boards from Supermicro seem have all slots in the same direction but sadly they don't have a x16 PCI-E. So I get a bit confused, will these different layouts affect the cooling performance?

On the other hand, I am also looking into the i7 6700k/Z170 setup. It can support 64G RAM as well which fits my need. Should I go for an i7 setup? If you guys think I went to the wrong path, please feel free to point out. Any recommdations are welcome. Thank you very much.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
will these different layouts affect the cooling performance?
Nope. In a non-dense environment, memory orientation provides a negligible cooling difference.

Should I go for an i7 setup?
What will you be doing with the system? Are the benefits of an "E"-series processor something you need, or even want? We don't want to recommend a minivan when you need a race car.

hzrdog

Mar 6, 2016
Nope. In a non-dense environment, memory orientation provides a negligible cooling difference.

What will you be doing with the system? Are the benefits of an "E"-series processor something you need, or even want? We don't want to recommend a minivan when you need a race car.
Thank you for reply.
So if I put these kind of perpendicular slots boards into a 4U chassis, it is adequate to just let the air coming from front to back without putting fans in other directions like enthusiasts' gaming setup. Am I right?

Just out of curiosity, to what extend of dense will this issue matter? 1U or 2U?

I have other servers which run on E5 and DDR4 RDIMM. I mainly use this new machine for some 3D modeling and preview rendering (like Solidworks, Pro/E), not any scientific computing staff, so I think probably support of Reg ECC and the same kind of socket is a plus but not a compulsory. Since if I go for the E5 setup I can have a simpler arsenal with shorter inventory list which all of them are exchangeable. However for the same price, the i7 tend to be a bit faster in most situations.

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
So if I put these kind of perpendicular slots boards into a 4U chassis, it is adequate to just let the air coming from front to back without putting fans in other directions like enthusiasts' gaming setup. Am I right?
That is correct.

Just out of curiosity, to what extend of dense will this issue matter? 1U or 2U?
If you can get air over the RAM, you're OK. If it has to flow through the RAM, you want the sticks lined up. So, in a 1U with low-profile DIMMs, it'll be fine. in a 1U with tall DIMMs, it'll provide an obstruction.

I have other servers which run on E5 and DDR4 RDIMM. I mainly use this new machine for some 3D modeling and preview rendering (like Solidworks, Pro/E), not any scientific computing staff, so I think probably support of Reg ECC and the same kind of socket is a plus but not a compulsory. Since if I go for the E5 setup I can have a simpler arsenal with shorter inventory list which all of them are exchangeable. However for the same price, the i7 tend to be a bit faster in most situations.
Given your workload and existing systems, I personally would choose to continue running E5s.

hzrdog

Mar 6, 2016
That is correct.

If you can get air over the RAM, you're OK. If it has to flow through the RAM, you want the sticks lined up. So, in a 1U with low-profile DIMMs, it'll be fine. in a 1U with tall DIMMs, it'll provide an obstruction.

Given your workload and existing systems, I personally would choose to continue running E5s.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll do some further research.