Mellanox SX6036 Switch with HP part number - What should I know?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
I have access to a few Mellanox SX6036 switches, but they have HP part numbers (674865-001).

I have read many threads here about EMC/IBM/HP versions of these switches, but I am unclear as to what "gotchyas" I sould be on the lookout for.
  • Are these as functional as the MLNX version?
  • How easy is it to return these to native MLNX firmware?
    • Should I?
  • What problems might I face getting these vs. native MLNX units?
Maybe there should be a sticky thread that educates folks about these versions of the SX6036?
(Am i missing that one does exist?) :)

Sniper_X

Mar 11, 2021
Will this unit be able to handle Ethernet as well?
Is it just a license that allows it?

==========================
EDIT:
==========================

Okay, so this article says:

"Starting from MLNX-OS 3.4.3002, 56GbE speed is enabled by default, meaning that there is no need for a license. You can simply change the port speed to 56000 without installing the license key. "

However, this will be an HP version.
Do they just use Mellanox firmware with HP branding?

(These haven't arrived yet, sos I haven't seen it)

HP Doesnt seem to have a "downloads" page for this switch that I can find (yet).

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
This is the theoretical ability to run 56GBit IB or ETH.

ETH has a separate license that you need to obtain

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Last edited:

theminer3746

Oct 19, 2020
This means you don't need the extra license to get 56GBE bandwidth support. You still need the gateway/ethernet license to use the switch in ethernet mode.

Edit:
Yes, you could use the mlnx-os image file from hpe to upgrade your mellanox switch. Better: use the image file from lenovo, it has a slightly newer version: Lenovo Intelligent Cluster (under the "switches" tab)
So there's no way to use this switch as an ethernet switch without buying a license?
That's a shame, I thought I'm gonna be able to upgrade my core network to 40G for cheap.