EXPIRED Mellanox SX6036 36ports QSFP €150

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Matt G

Mar 6, 2019
Sweden
Got them yesterday, in the process of doing the three upgrades they recommend to get to the current version. Everything's working as it should. Amazing find on ebay if you ask me. Thanks @Rand__ !

Edit: It was actually four separate updates and the manual even suggested doing a fifth version inbetween for ppc version. That version was however not available on hp's site and everything is doing just fine anyway. Took about 30 min per update and 5 min per restart.

Edit2: 3 left. =)

Last edited:

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I'm a bit annoyed. I bought one few days ago with a BO and the seller accepted it.
I pay it...
Today i was refunded without any explication...
Since my order was still available on ebay (but on the status "not paid"). I was able to pay it again.

I'm not sure than the seller take it in account since it was only 1 left.
I contact it by PM but i had never any answer !

I tried to buy the last one (since i supposed he cancel my order because he was thinking that he can obtain more cash from it than the BO he accepted...) but ebay say me than some limits block me to buy the last one..

I bought already some stuff around it (nics, optics, ...) and finally the risk that i will not have any switch is really big....

grrrr...... i'm really frustrated.

Last edited:

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Ah that sucks :/
If all else fails let me know, I don't really *need* two of them (since i also got a converted 6012)

cluefr

Feb 11, 2018
I'm a bit annoyed. I bought one few days ago with a BO and the seller accepted it.
I pay it...
Since my order was still available on ebay (but on the status "not paid"). I was able to pay it again.

I tried to buy the last one (since i supposed he cancel my order because he was thinking that he can obtain more cash from it than the BO he accepted...) but ebay say me than some limits block me to buy the last one..

I bought already some stuff around it (nics, optics, ...) and finally the risk that i will not have any switch is really big....

BO of 130€or less ? only got 130€ BO offer accepted

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why would they start with that after being down to the last few? Unless its automatic price adjustments...
But @nephri actually had bought his and then got cancelled which is very weird.

boliniak1

Sep 28, 2018
I pay it...

Please let me know I have the same version with all capabilities to sell.

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
I'm also interested in that, if someone "converted" their SX6036.
I didn't pull the trigger on getting one, due to budget reasons at home, but if the deal appears again it would be great to know what options there is when it comes to "converting"/"licensing" it.

Hansf

Apr 16, 2019
To get the license code just ask the person in the other thread that Rand mentioned. Worked for me.

Reactions: joddlarn

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Really? Played around with that originally but never got anything useful out of it;)

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
Gah, why didn't I pull the trigger on one?
Unless the deal comes back in the near future; is there anyone that happen to have a spare and wanna sell or trade it? The SX6012 is also interesting.

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
Or unzip the mlnx-os image, go to /opt/tms/bin and fool around with the genlicense executable ;)
I had a field day with that binary, to get it running on a regular x86_64 distro.
Started out by downloading MLNX-OS_3.6.8008-670769-B21_Software_Image_HPE.zip from HPE, linked earlier in this thread.
From that file I extracted the image-PPC_M460EX-ppc-m460ex-20180703-203210.tgz file, located inside of image-PPC_M460EX-3.6.8008.img
Next thing was to install a throw-away VM running Debian Stretch. Installed the regular updates and then;
apt-get install qemu-user​
Uploaded the .tgz file extracted to the VM to /root/mellanox and unpacked it:
cd /root/mellanox
tar image-PPC_M460EX-ppc-m460ex-20180703-203210.tgz​

After trying to run the genlicense binary from the extracted opt/tms/bin directory I had to do some ugly file copying to get it to run via qemu:
mv /etc/ld.so.cache /etc/ld.so.cache-old
cp /root/mellanox/lib/ld* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/librt* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/libpthread* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/libc* /lib/
After this the binary run just fine. As said before, this was done on a new VM with no other purpuse than to test this. Don't do it on a box you normally use as copying files to /lib normally isn't a good idea.
How to use it is another story, i386 might have more info on that.

Reactions: kaz

oxynazin

Dec 10, 2018
I had a field day with that binary, to get it running on a regular x86_64 distro.
Started out by downloading MLNX-OS_3.6.8008-670769-B21_Software_Image_HPE.zip from HPE, linked earlier in this thread.
From that file I extracted the image-PPC_M460EX-ppc-m460ex-20180703-203210.tgz file, located inside of image-PPC_M460EX-3.6.8008.img
Next thing was to install a throw-away VM running Debian Stretch. Installed the regular updates and then;
apt-get install qemu-user​
Uploaded the .tgz file extracted to the VM to /root/mellanox and unpacked it:
cd /root/mellanox
tar image-PPC_M460EX-ppc-m460ex-20180703-203210.tgz​

After trying to run the genlicense binary from the extracted opt/tms/bin directory I had to do some ugly file copying to get it to run via qemu:
mv /etc/ld.so.cache /etc/ld.so.cache-old
cp /root/mellanox/lib/ld* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/librt* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/libpthread* /lib/
cp /root/mellanox/lib/libc* /lib/
After this the binary run just fine. As said before, this was done on a new VM with no other purpuse than to test this. Don't do it on a box you normally use as copying files to /lib normally isn't a good idea.
How to use it is another story, i386 might have more info on that.
Today I was trying to run this too :)
Found (couple of hours ago) an easier way:
chroot /{dir-with-unpacked-img}/ qemu-ppc-static /opt/tms/bin/genlicense

Reactions: kaz

joddlarn

Jul 14, 2018
Sweden
Today I was trying to run this too :)
Found (couple of hours ago) an easier way:
chroot /{dir-with-unpacked-img}/ qemu-ppc-static /opt/tms/bin/genlicense
Ah. I tried to chroot with the regular "chroot /{dir-with-unpacked-img}/" with qemu-ppc-static in /{dir-with-unpacked-img}/usr/bin but that didn't work.
Thanks for a better way to run it compared to my ugly-workaround-way to do it :)