Mellanox-SX6036-36-Ports-QSFP-FDR

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
I don't know if you consider these a good deal or not but I did @ 274 USD and free shipping within the US.

SX-6036
$200 from SX-6036 (ebay).
I pulled the trigger after watching for 2 months on a special offer for $160 from them; came to just over $170 w/tax + free S&H. The downside is that the tracking seems to be all over the place: Ordered 9/21 with estimated arrival date of 10/5 then got email saying it'd be delivered 9/24 then 9/30 a few minutes later.
Tracking says it was in FedEx (NJ) possession 9/23 and says it is still in NJ as of this morning (9/27) after having bumped around the state a couple of times. Will be impressed if it makes it to Phoenix by 9/30 (FedEx estimated delivery), but eBay says 10/5.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Because the IBM serial number.
They told me specifically and I checked with members here that it was a Mellanox 6036 Switch and not a rebrand , if it is a rebrand I'll be pissed.
Oh @up3up4 you are referring to @Mighty Man 's purchase. Sorry if there is a problem I'm just glad it's not my one ... PHEW.

I'll be paying a small fortune to get it here ( New Zealand )

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have a hp(e) branded version, it runs the vanilla mlnx-os without problems. I think the other oem versions will also work without problems.

up3up4

Jun 10, 2018
They told me specifically and I checked with members here that it was a Mellanox 6036 Switch and not a rebrand , if it is a rebrand I'll be pissed.
Oh @up3up4 you are referring to @Mighty Man 's purchase. Sorry if there is a problem I'm just glad it's not my one ... PHEW.

I'll be paying a small fortune to get it here ( New Zealand )
sn :MTxxxxxxxx is safe for ethernet and gateway functions.

Reactions: Falloutboy

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Can these be used in a homelab (RoCE)? with regard to noise?
How noisy are these? I need to get a RoCE 56Gbps switch to connect my ConnectX-3s, but the noise is my main concern.
I was simply planning to install multi ConnectX-3s into a server to make a SW-switch, but that's not ideal at all.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
The 6036 is the loudest device I have encountered so far. The fans on the rear-to-front airflow model spin down from 23k rpm to 13k rpm and are still pretty loud.

kiteboarder

May 10, 2016
Can these be used in a homelab (RoCE)? with regard to noise?
How noisy are these? I need to get a RoCE 56Gbps switch to connect my ConnectX-3s, but the noise is my main concern.
I was simply planning to install multi ConnectX-3s into a server to make a SW-switch, but that's not ideal at all.
Not trying to derail the thread, but the Brocade 6610s will do what you're after (two ports will do 40GbE and up to 16 10GbE ports). Noise might be reasonable for some rooms, but probably not bedroom.

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
Oh joy it sounds like I am going to have some work to do to silence the beast so it doesn't drive us all mad.

Mighty Man

Aug 9, 2019
Oh joy it sounds like I am going to have some work to do to silence the beast so it doesn't drive us all mad.
For the most part, isn't that true about enterprise hardware in general? LMK how it works out -- I'm looking at it too....

Falloutboy

Oct 23, 2011
For the most part, isn't that true about enterprise hardware in general? LMK how it works out -- I'm looking at it too....
Probably, although thus far my Supermicro systems built into desktop PC cases and using supermicro CPU active coolers have not really made any sound well apart from a loud and annoying BEEEEEEEEP at one point where I forgot to hook a CPU fan back in place after working in the chassis. OOPS.