I

Mellanox NICs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@ari2asem
Mellanox has some "ethernet only" nics (type EN) and nics (type VPI) that support Infiniband (EDR) and ethernet (100GBE).

@Freebsd1976
There seem to be more problems with HPE models, will fix that in the next revision. Thank you for the feedback!

Todos for 1.01:
  • Fix models/sku numbers (hpe)
  • Add glossary
Todos for 2.0:
  • Add ConnectX-6 (& maybe special models like the bluefield nics)

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Perhaps inviting comments from people as to which cables and optics they were able to successfully use with these NICs?

I recently got a ConnectX-LX EN - a single port 50GbE ethernet only variant - and it seems VERY finicky about cables (including ones that work fine on a ConnectX-3)

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Townley

dragonian

Jan 3, 2020
I'm pretty sure that the MCX311A-XCAT (single SFP+) is only x4 lanes of PCIe3 and not x8. It's a winner for some smaller boxes like 5019A-FTN4

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
you could add the HPE FLR variants, especially since those Risers / adapters are out there.
Though i can't say if they can be crossflashed or what the actual mlx equivalent is, i tried many FWs, in the end, only the HPE Fw worked for me, could have done something wrong though. I had suspected it to be the 346A FCCT for the 554+FLR because the 544+ is the same but to me it seems not to be the case.

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
Perhaps inviting comments from people as to which cables and optics they were able to successfully use with these NICs?

I recently got a ConnectX-LX EN - a single port 50GbE ethernet only variant - and it seems VERY finicky about cables (including ones that work fine on a ConnectX-3)
Just spent way too many hours trying to find Mellanox optical modules both SFP+ and QSFP+ because eBay basically said there were none.
I would very much appreciate what modules are known to work with Mellanox.
Does Mellanox block other brands in firmware?
Do most other brands work?

Robert Townley

Dec 23, 2014
Good to hear :)

I imagine your firmware was all updated first?

Do you have many different brands of optical modules?
Arista?
Intel?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I try to stay up to date, yes.

From memory:
Transceivers:
Fs.com (coded for mellanox, arista)
different branded (I think there is at least 1 intel branded) finisar 10gbe sr transceivers
cisco
mellanox (and aoc cables)
broadcom

DACs:
Broadcom
Brocade
Mellanox (vanilla, ibm & hpe branded)
Cisco
fs.com